Prologue

p r o l o g u e

***

I waited for the elevator to reach the 17th floor. As soon as the elevator doors opened with a soft ding, I stepped out hurriedly. All I could hear was my Gucci heels clicking on the floor. I rolled my eyes when I realized that everyone was looking at me. It is not my fault that I am always late no matter how much I try to be punctual. This time, I was late because of my husky Dean, who kept on whining for another bath. He loved being in the tub and ended up spoiling my clothes and voila, I was late for work. At least, he didn't spoil my heels.

Ethan, the publicist's assistant, winked at me before I entered my cabin. His wink was a way of saying hello. I didn't wink at him back – my way of saying hello.

I kept my handbag on my desk and shot towards the CEO's office like a bullet. I was like seven minutes late. It was like I was the CEO.

-

Kenneth Parker was sitting in his huge chair, more like a throne, and was scratching his graying hair. I greeted him and he asked me to sit. I sat down gently, with my hands folded on the lap. I had his schedule for the day written on the paper, folded neatly in my hands.

'Before I ask for my schedule Ms. Hastings, I have to tell you something. Wait for a moment though I have called Ms. Waters too.' I nodded as I looked down at my lap. The very next second, Andrea knocked on the door and came inside. She smiled at me and I grinned at her. According to me, she was the sanest employee in here. Everyone else was just crazy. I looked at her sitting gracefully with her legs crossed. When Kenneth cleared his throat, I realized that I had been staring at her legs all this time. I tried to hide the embarrassing blush that was trying to creep up my cheeks.

'Now ladies, you know I am 64 and I think it is finally time to retire. After my wife died, it has been hard for me to take all the responsibilities and now I believe, what do y'all kids say, it's 'me' time.' Kenneth finishes saying and I slowly comprehended what he was saying. Andrea did too and her jaw dropped. Andrea admired Kenneth a lot and she looked up to him as an inspiration. I felt a bit sad too. Kenneth was really kind to me too and I would miss this old man! I never knew the name of his wife. Kenneth never shared his personal details. Again, why would he?

I could feel Andrea looking at me. She clearly was dumbstruck.

I wanted to ask him about the next CEO but he answered my question.

'The next CEO, ladies, would be my son. All your questions about him will be answered in the meeting tomorrow when I announce my retirement. Ms. Waters, I wanted to tell you beforehand so that you can prepare for the 'big statement' without being shocked tomorrow.' Andrea nodded and Kenneth asked her to leave as her work was done. After she left, Kenneth turned to me, 'And as for you, Ms. Hastings, I am telling you this beforehand because well...my son can be a difficult man to handle sometimes. But I know you have the streak in you to put him in his right place. I believe that you will help him sort out his matters and...good luck. Now if you can please tell me my today's schedule?'

I had a blank face all this while. I had never heard of his son, ever. I wanted to ask his name but I decided against it. Kenneth would obviously tell his name tomorrow in the meeting. I could wait for one day.

'Sir, you have a meeting fixed with Anderson Co. at noon with Mr. Eric Anderson and his lawyer, Mr. Teller at 35 Bistro where you will be having lunch with them following your talk about your shares in his company. I had a talk about this with Mr. Jackson, head of the Finance department, and he asked me to give you a file on the same matter. I will have the file sent to you straight away. Also, there is a fundraiser event for the disabled kids today but Ms. Waters said that you can skip it if you want to. I can just send in a cheque, if you would like to skip it. There are four files regarding the Human Resources, Finance and Computing Departments and they're kind of urgent. If you would please look through them, so I can solve the matters after you sign the papers. I will have them sent to you straight away. That's it.'