50 Days Ago

It was a Saturday afternoon and one of those days where you just didn't feel like doing anything but wedge out. Samantha decided to skip a day of studying and just lounge around at home for once. She was browsing through facebook and unconsciously she had ended up on Ben's profile. She looked through his photos and smiled when she came across a picture of the two of them.

She missed him so much. They had started talking again but things just weren't the same any more. He was always busy and when she asked why he would just change the topic. She didn't know why he had to be so secretive, she obviously knew the reason why. He was probably busy with Jessica.

Samantha sighed and looked up at the ceiling. If she had only accepted him last year when he professed his love to her none of them would be in this situation. But she was stubborn and foolish and this was her punishment. She would just have to accept his relationship with Jessica because she couldn't stand losing him again.

She immediately clicked on Jessica's profile next and began surfing through her photos. Surprisingly there were no recent photos of her and Ben.

"That's odd," Samantha whispered to herself. Jessica was the type to post up a picture on almost every date she had with Ben. Before she felt like a complete stalker she went back to her homepage and starting browsing through other peoples posts instead. After a while she got bored and decided to take a nap.

She was about to close her eyes when her phone buzzed next to her. It was a text from Ben saying he wanted to meet her ASAP at the coffee shop on campus. Curious Samantha agreed and jumped out of bed immediately to freshen up. After she was satisfied with her appearance she left her room in a hurry. She wondered what could be so urgent that he had to meet her immediately.

She was walking down one of the corridors which was fairly empty today when she heard footsteps behind her. Her heart started beating faster as she stopped in her tracks and looked behind her. There was no one there but she could've sworn she heard someone walking behind her.

"What's wrong with me?" she laughed at how ridiculous she was behaving. There was bound to be other people on campus grounds. But a nagging voice in her head aroused her paranoia. That corridor was almost always empty and if there were footsteps behind her wouldn't she have seen someone walking there?

She must be hearing things, she told herself. She looked back again just to be sure and when she saw no one there she continued walking but at a faster pace.

Eventually she reached the coffee shop which was more packed than usual. She literally had to squeeze her way through the crowd to get the counter.

Before she reached the counter she heard someone whisper "Samantha" in her ears and goosebumps formed on her skin. The voice was soft yet intense and laced with desperation. Bewildered she turned around towards the voice but all she saw was students talking to each other. No one seemed to be looking at her. What was going on with her today?

She then turned around, ordered a caramel latte and found a place to sit while waiting for Ben. As she was waiting she started browsing through instagram but she couldn't help but feel that someone was constantly watching her. She looked up and scanned the room, aside from a couple of loners reading their books, everyone else was deep in conversation. There was no one looking at her and yet she felt uneasy for some reason.

She was about to text Ben and ask him where he was when he walked in and spotted her. He flashed her his million dollar smile when he saw her and immediately her nerves were calmed. He was the only person who had that effect on her. She took a second to admire his boyish hair cut, his pink stained cheeks from the cold weather and his heart melting smile. Being with him felt warm and welcoming, it was like being home.