Chapter 81: Ariella

Chapter 81: Ariella

The music shifted from it's lively tune to a slow lullaby, a violin echoing throughout the hall as it was played. I smiled softly as I glanced over to where the musicians stood and watched as the red haired woman played, her eyes closed as if she was sleeping, but her arm and fingers moved continuously.

"I remember her father wasn't happy when she wanted to become a violinist." My father's voice sounded beside me and I glanced up to look at him, his eyes staring at the young woman. "It was a surprise since she was an amazing fighter."

"She just wanted to do something else? Like me?"

He chuckled and nodded before glancing down at me. "I've barely been able to talk to you with your friends pulling you in every direction."

"I think they're trying to keep me away from Alexander." I pouted slightly, my arms wrapping themselves around me. Alexander had come up to me to give me a hug after everyone here had promised to protect me, a funny smile on his lips as he tried to console me from the shock. There was still something inside of me that couldn't believe that they all had done such a thing. My friends, family, and especially the people I barely even knew. They all promised and I still couldn't believe it. I had planned to ask Alexander what had happened as well as what the others were talking about, but my friends had swept me away and has done their best to keep me from Alexander since.

"I'm not surprised." Father chuckled as he stepped forward and turned to me. "Well, since your friends aren't around, will you at least give your father a dance?"

I blinked up at him in confusion. Other than my friends, I hadn't really had the opportunity to dance with anyone else with the taking me all around the ballroom. I smiled up at him and nodded before following him to the middle of the room where the others were dancing. I turned to face him, slipping my hand into his and attempting to reach his shoulder before settling on his arm. His hand pressed against my side as he lead the dance, the two of us quickly matching the beat with the song.

"You know, if you ever get married, we'll be dancing like this again." Father smiled down at me.

"M-married?" I stumbled slightly as my feet struggled to move, surprise filling my body.

Marriage. That was something I hadn't thought of since I was a child. Once, I thought that I could get married and then, I realized that was impossible. Ever since, I just never thought about it. Not there or here. It was just something that I had given up on and accepted that it would never happen to me. But then, this wasn't there. I could get married here. So why did I never think about it before? Why did I never think that I could marry someone?

"If you want to, of course." Father chuckled as he slowed down, allowing me to get back into the flow. "And if you find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with."

"If I find someone?" I muttered softly as my eyes fell and stared at the black of his suit. Who would I marry, if I could choose? And who would want to marry me? My mind almost instantly flew to Alexander, the man who never stopped being there for me. The one who supported me in everything, who trusted me even when he was worried, and the same man who had sacrificed him more times than I cared to admit all for me. But would I be happy with him?

A laugh escaped from my lips as I realized how foolish that question was. The question wouldn't be if I would be happy with him, but when I wouldn't?

"Have you really never thought of it before?" Father questioned and I smiled sheepishly.

"I had already accepted that I'd never be married so I never thought about it, until now." I admitted and tried my hardest to keep my eyes away from his, unsure of what I'd see in them.