The Halo Effect - Chapter 10

Copyright-All Rights Reserved

Chapter 10

Nara's POV

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthias and I had been roaming the streets for a week and half. We had no food, no money, and no water. I had never been in such a dire state. I tried to keep calm for Matt's sake because it was new to him. As I held the memory stick in my hand, I knew it was a last resort and I knew we were getting there. I could sell it for quite a bit of money.

Matt walked back into the alley empty-handed. He sat down next to me and looked at the memory stick.

"What's that?" he asked.

"It's a buffet of food, a nice hotel room, and a hot shower." I smiled slightly.

"That sounds amazing." he sighed.

I stared at it long and hard and then my smile faded.

"But it's for emergencies." I stuck it back into my pocket.

"Well, our situation isn't exactly getting any better."

"We'll go to the shelter. They'll help us out." I stood up.

"Hey, my friends are probably skating at their spot right now. Could you go meet up with them? I'll go set things up at the shelter and then i'll meet you over there." Matt stood up and picked up his stuff.

"Yeah, sure."

We went separate ways as I skated to his friends and he went to the shelter.

I met up with Wes, Lee, and Jack and a couple other guys I didn't recognize.

The other guys looked at me as if they were disgusted.

"Why is this chick here?" one of the guys asked.

"This chick can skate circles around you, man." I crossed my arms.

He and his friend laughed. Wes, Lee, and Jack skated down the alley. The two other guys stayed there waiting for me to make a move. I placed my board down and started to show off. I just went for it.

I ended my run by flipping right between them.

I taunted them by doing a handstand on my board, my speciality trick.

They were both visibly angry. I stood up to face them.

"I'd like to see you do that." I laughed in his face.

He looked over at his friend but didn't say a word.

"What? Are you scared?" I grinned pushing him playfully.

When he just stared at me in anger, I pushed him again.

And he finally snapped and shoved me twice.

I began to feel anger as well so I pushed him even harder. He swung at my face, hitting me in the lips. I stumbled back and wiped my face. I went to lunge at him, but his friend grabbed my arms holding me back. The other guy then proceeded to hit me once again. I kicked my leg back hitting the guy in the groin. I swung as hard as I could right into the guys face.

The guy picked up his board attempting to hit me, but I dodged it. I was too caught up in defending myself to notice the lights and sirens heading down the alley. I froze as I locked onto the police car with my eyes. The guy used the distraction to punch me one last time before him and his friend took off running the other way.

I flung to the ground in pain. A police officer picked me up and cuffed me immediately. The other police officer ran after the other guys, but soon gave up when he realized they were long gone.