Homeless: It's All I Know - Chapter 6

Copyright-All Rights Reserved

Chapter 6

Nara's POV

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I skated through the warm LA night with a devilish grin on my face. Putting a dent in one of their cars really helped me loosen up. I decided it was time for me to loosen up more. Skating through the city at night was working wonders. I had no destination in mind tonight.

I turned around a corner to head down a short cut. I saw what I believed was a person in the distance. The figure was walking towards me. I paid no attention to the person and keep pushing off normally. As the person came closer to me, I pulled my hood over my hat.

I looked up and over to the person as we were about to cross paths. A hand punched me straight in my eye. I was taken by surprise as I fell backwards off my board. My vision was completely blurry in my left eye. I blinked in pain as another dude that was apparently behind me reached for the money that had fallen out of my backpack. Still in shock, I shouted at him to stop. I pulled my knife out of my pocket and waved it in his and his partners direction as I sprang to my feet.

The two guys ran away with most of my money gripped in their hands. I stood up trying to collect myself. I picked up the few bills that were still on the ground and counted them. $5.

$2,500 cut to $5 in seconds. I stared in shock at the money. I flopped back down on the ground and pulled my knees to my chest. I sat in the dimly lit alley and cried.

There goes my future. That money was all I had left. No parents. No home. No Masie and Mason. No money. I was shaken and in pain. I crawled over to wall and laid down. With no other plans, I fell asleep in the unfamiliar alleyway.

I awoke the next morning barely being able to see out of my left eye. I stood up and covered my head with my hat and hoodie. I slung my backpack on and grabbed my board. I walked out of the alley and looked around at the surroundings. The sun blinded my one good eye. When I surveyed the area, I realized that I was kinda lost. It was familiar, but also unfamiliar at the same time.

My stomach rumbled reminding me of my lack of money. So I had to do the thing I grew up doing. I went back into the alley and looked in the garbage can. I ripped off a piece of cardboard and wrote on it with my only sharpie. I went back onto the street that was now busy.

Sitting down, I set my backpack and board to the side of me. I placed my hat upside down in front of me. And then the waiting game began. Let me be the first to tell you that being a homeless person with a cardboard sign either makes you invisible or makes you trash to the normal person walking down the street.

I spent the whole day in the same spot and only received $8. Frustration was setting in by sunset. I took my $13 into the closest McDonald's and splurged. I went to use the restroom and looked in the mirror. I looked as if I had lost a boxing match. I had a dark black eye and the cut on my lip was still visible. I looked like a loser and felt like one, too.

By the end of the meal, I left the place with $3 to my name.

After having some food in my stomach, I could think clearly enough to head back to my alley. I went into my tent and changed into my other pair of clothes. I knew that I had to go back on the street to try to get some money, so I went to the park area because people give more around that area.

I took a blanket with me this time. I set up farther away from the park than usual. I held that stupid sign all day again watching hundreds of men, women, and children pass by me. I always loved to imagine up what their lives were really like.