Chapter VIII

I was probably the only kid on the planet who hated summer. It was least favourite time of the year. While other kids were going to the beach and having fun, I was in a big, lonely mansion in the middle of nowhere. The worst part was that I was alone with my parents. My sister wasn't coming home, which meant two months of hell. Actually, hell looked more inviting.

My life at home wasn't bad, exactly. My parents didn't abuse me, nor were they strict disciplinarians. They were pretty cool when they weren't making me feel like a bag of yoghurt. It's just that I never got along with them. I tried my best to be nice to my parents, but sometimes they really got on my nerves.

My parents were perfect, so they expected me to be just like them. They were so proud of the way my sister was going, until she turned into a rebel. Even then they loved her more than anything. I, on the other hand, tried my hardest to be the ideal daughter they had always wanted, but sometimes it just wasn't enough.

My first week home was quite the drag to be honest. I didn't really do much, apart from leave my room bedroom for food. I didn't have any friends who lived nearby, so I didn't get out often. The only time I left the house was to enjoy a cool dip in the pool.

It was crazy how bored anyone could get in a house like mine. We rich kids literally had everything from a jacuzzi to a giant trampoline (I still have no idea why there's a giant trampoline in our home). There was so much to do that there was nothing to do. All I did was watch T.V., read, eat and sleep. I was becoming lazier as the days progressed, and eventually I'd start functioning around seven in the evening. It annoyed my parents very much, but I didn't card. I'd rather be awake at two in the morning alone with my thoughts, than have to see their faces.

One day, I actually woke up before eleven and had breakfast. As I was eating my eggs, my mother walked into the room. She scowled at me when she saw how I was sitting.

I was dressed in sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt, with my hair tied into a messy bun. My right leg was thrown over the arm of the couch, while the other was stretched out onto the coffee table. I looked homeless, and anyone who saw me would be astonished to know that I was the daughter of Charlotte and Henry Valentine.

"Put your legs down," my mother ordered as she elegantly sat down on a chair. I rolled my eyes, but still listened to her.

"So," said my mother, "we have guests coming over for dinner tonight."

"Great. I'll be locked up in my room pretending I don't exist."

"No, you will come down and join us."

I groaned. I hated meeting new people, especially my parents' business partners.

My parents were very famous in the corporate sector. They owned a global multimillion company, Valentine Industries. (And, no, they do not make Valentine's Day gifts or cards.) Business dinners were very important to them, I just didn't see how I fit in.

"Why do I need to be there?" I asked, frowning.

"Because it's a very important investment."

"So what does that have to do with me?"

"Stop asking so many questions. You're coming, and that's final. Also, you'd better dress well. Not like...that." She made a face of disgust as she studied me. I couldn't blame her though. Even I'd get grossed out looking at myself.

"I'm going to my room, " I mumbled, and left. I spent the rest of the day locked up in there. Around six, my mom knocked on the door.

"Time to get ready. They'll be here anytime soon."

I sighed and walked into my closet. Since my mother had wanted me to 'dress well', I chose a white dress. I had a quick shower and combed all the knots out of my hair. I washed my face to rid it of the oil, and applied a thin layer of makeup. I put hair up in a neat braided updo, but I let my bangs hang down. I put on a pair of white heels and studied myself in the mirror. I actually looked decent for once. Only if there was a cute boy around to see me. After clicking a few pictures to post on social media, I headed down to meet the parental unit. By the way my mother's face beamed when she saw me, I could tell she was proud.