Chapter 40

Ryan

Thank God I only had to deal with Miranda through the lawyers. The idea of seeing her again left a bad taste in my mouth. She tried reaching out to me, but I blocked her number.

Jeremy thrived in Barbara's house. Eleanor spent the rest of her stay with us. Lady loved the beach and the open space as much as Jeremy did. Which made me reach out to my assistant about the prospective property I'd instructed her to look into. After living a few days with Barbara, I couldn't imagine going back to living without her again.

"No. I don't care what her lawyer is offering. I'm not budging," I said into my phone, my eyes on Jeremy and Eleanor below.

Barbara was kind enough to lend me her home office for my daily phone calls with my lawyers. Sunlight poured through the glass wall, warming the dark wooden furniture and setting the deep orange couch in front of the bookcase aglow.

Miranda would get out of the drug charges with a slap on the wrist, most likely a fine and community service. If people thought this country's judicial system didn't cater to the influential and wealthy, they were wrong.

However, I was more interested in pursuing her for what she'd put Jeremy through. If she thought she would slip out of this as she usually did, she was sorely mistaken. She had sniped the last thread that connected us with her own hands. Now she meant nothing more than a stranger who'd put my son at risk.

A light scratching sounded on the door. Listening to my lawyer talk, I made my way to the door and eased it open. The three-legged cat, Pie, limped into the office, her gait energetic as always. She rubbed her body against my leg, leaving a trail of cat hair on my black pants. I smiled, picked her up, and was graced with a loud purr. People who didn't like cats obviously had never met one like Pie. She was a gentle, cuddly fluff ball.

"Miranda asked for a meeting between you two," my lawyer said.

"Not interested," I said. "She had her chance. She screwed up. End of story."

"Got it. I'll let you know once the court date has been set."

I plopped down on the couch, Pie in my lap. "Thank you, Francis."

Ending the call, I chucked the phone on the couch next to me and closed my eyes. My lawyers were the best money could hire, and I'd been with them long enough to rest assured.

The problem was the press. The speculations were insane. Thank God we were in Barbara's house. I couldn't even imagine the shit show that would be lurking around my house and Jeremy's school.

Pie settled down, tucking her front paw underneath her and closing her eyes. I rubbed her neck. I guess I was stuck here.

"Knock knock."

I smiled at Barbara. She floated into the office, the pale orange of her sweatshirt making her eyes seem bluer than usual.

"I see you have company." She sat down next to me, petting Pie. The cat cracked her eyes open, jumped from my lap to Barbara's, and purred louder. I chuckled. "Obviously, I'm not the favorite."

"You'll get there," Barbara said. She eyed me for a second. "How's everything going on?"

I shrugged and leaned my head back, closing my eyes again. "As expected. It'll take some time for things to settle down, I guess."

She hummed and leaned her head against my shoulder. Eleanor and Jeremy's high pitched laughter sailed on the ocean air to my ears. Barbara's warmth and scent coated my every breath. The tightness in my stomach loosened.

"This is nice," I mumbled. "I wish I could hide here forever."

"Me too," Barbara mumbled. She put her hand on my knee. "About Jeremy. Do you think he should talk to someone?"