Chapter 37

Ryan insisted on tagging along. I drove and called Graham on the way. If he'd kept his schedule from years ago, then he would be home right now having a game of poker with his group of friends.

The ringtone filled the car. It lasted long enough for me to think he wasn't going to answer. Then Graham's low voice came through.

"I thought we agreed to stay out of each other's way," he said as a way of greeting. Good. Straight to the point. It saved me a lot of trouble.

"I'm not the one who broke my end of the deal," I said. "Where are you? I need to see you right away."

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Barbara, but I have no time for games."

"Good, me neither. If you don't want to meet, then you'll be hearing from my lawyers tomorrow, and you'll be waking up to some very interesting articles," I said. "Make your choice, do you want to meet now or not?"

Silence, then. "Fine," he bit out. "Come over to my house in two hours."

"Make sure Meryl is there. I don't want to repeat myself."

I ended the call before he could put another word in. He must be fuming.

Ryan chuckled next to me. "He must be fuming."

I smiled. Great minds think alike.

"Why don't you actually sue him? You have nothing to lose," Ryan asked. Leaning back with a groan, he stretched his legs in front of him. The passenger seat was pushed so far back, Pirate's head was level with Ryan's.

"Oh, but I do now," I said. Stopping the car at a red light, I glanced at him.

Ryan raised his brows. Pirate decided this conversation needed his input and gave a bark. Ryan chuckled and petted the dog's head.

"I forgot to thank you for doing this," I said.

"Doing what?"

"Everything. From thinking ahead of keeping an eye on Derek to coming with me. I really appreciate it."

It felt nice to have someone in my corner. Eleanor had always been there for me, and she always would. But with Ryan, it felt different. As if he was all mine to have. My own person, if it made sense.

Ryan grinned. "I'm your future husband. I have to protect you."

My lips twitched up. The light turned green and traffic rolled forward. "So it's your duty?"

"My duty and privilege."

I couldn't possibly love him any more than I already did. I went through my plan in my head. We had to stop by my house first before making our way to Graham's.

"What's in here?" Ryan asked, hefting the manila envelope I'd kept in my safe since my grandmother's death.

"You can open it."

He did. After a few seconds, he whistled. "Agnes must've had a feeling they would screw you over."

"Probably." That was the only reason she would give me a letter detailing the contents of her will. The letter was addressed to me, with my grandmother's signature.

Proving the will was forged would be a hard case to win against Graham, even with the letter. But it served well as a threat to keep him in line.

"So her lawyer must be in on it, as well?" Ryan asked.

"Most likely. I looked into him. After Grandmother's inheritance was divided and everyone got their share, the lawyer bought his wife a massive mansion in the Scottish highlands."