Chapter 15: Richy

I had reached the edge of the forest. I breathed out a sigh of relief. This forest was strange. In the meanwhile, I had the feeling that I was being monitored. One reason I was glad to be on the phone to Phil. However, as I didn't think it was realistic to actually be watched, I hadn't told Phil about it. After all, I didn't want him to worry unnecessarily.

Especially as he wasn't too keen on my little walk anyway.

"A bartender is just a poorly paid therapist," he joked when I thanked him again for his care.

"But at least there's a tip." I heard his laughter through the phone. "Sometimes"

"I really should pay you a proper tip one day."

"Well, you'd have to visit the Aurora again to do so."

"Before I leave Duskwood I'll definitely do so."

It was obvious to me to flirt a little with Phil once again. Although it didn't immediately mean that I had moved on from Jake.

Still far from it...

Perhaps I just wanted Phil as an additional option?

If I did, I was being selfish. Phil's understanding of my situation regarding my missing boyfriend from his own experiences didn't improve things. Particularly not after he had tried so hard to make me feel better.

I shouldn't play any of my mind games with him.

He didn't deserve that!Lost in thought, I had tuned out the conversation and didn't hear him reply: "I'd be offended if you didn't visit again."

As I didn't reply, he asked worriedly: "[MC] is everything all right?"

"Yeah, sure?" I reassured him.

But once again Phil realized I was lying to him: " Are you?"

" Yeah," my words left my lips in a more annoyed tone as I had intended. "I'm sorry, Phil"

"What's bothering you?" he asked in an affectionate tone.

In response, I sighed.

"You don't like to tell me, do you," Phil stated without sounding judgmental or hurt.

"'Yeah. I'm sorry, Phil,' I repeated, but this time it was obvious in my voice I was being honest. "It's just I don't even really know what's going on at the moment. It's really hard for me to explain."

"I understand," he replied empathetically. "I'd be lying if I hadn't felt something similar back then. So, different topic?"

"We can hang up," I interrupted him. "'Cause I'm as good as being with the others again."

"Then let's talk later."

"Of course," I smiled.

"See you later [MC]"

"See you later Phil"

It was not long after I hung up the phone and Jessy spotted me.

"[MC]!" she shouted happily. This friendly greeting brought a smile to my lips

"Oh, you're getting back here too?" Dan joked when I reached the group again.

"Oh, did you miss me so much?" I responded to his joke.

"No, actually I'm just hungry! The others wanted to wait with the barbecue until you got back"

"I'm already lighting the barbecue," Thomas said, a little annoyed.

"Dan is even more unbearable when he's hungry," Hannah teased as I sat down on the picnic blanket with the girls.

So before I could say anything in reply, Jessy had caught my attention.