Chapter 5: Poltergeists

Phil and I left Jessy's flat at about 7:30 on the dot. I had left my bagel and coffee almost untouched. My upcoming testimony was starting to get to me. Especially after I'd put Phil's hot tattooed body out of my mind.

I was in a relationship with Jake, somehow.

In any case, I tried to stay loyal to him.

Even if it meant a lifetime of abstinence.

Phil was also a damn hot distraction...

However, this morning's sibling banter between Jessy and Phil was not.

Anyway, they decided to visit the Aurora tonight. Phil even granted Cleo and Thomas to forgo their house ban this evening.

By my pleading.

I couldn't get rid of the newly imposed drinking ban for both of them. Or rather, I had given up trying after Jessy suggested we had drivers for tonight after all.

This was definitely an argument...

Jessy had also been able to negotiate a free cocktail. After protesting loudly that, as a sister, she didn't even get a family discount. Somehow I wondered why she hadn't negotiated for this much earlier. Phil, after all, had a reputation as a successfully flirtatious bartender. As I had heard it, he often used his position behind the counter to serve a drink to beautiful young women. At least he lived up to his reputation as a womaniser in the way he opened the passenger door for me. Although this knowledge was available, I giggled like an abashed schoolgirl.

Completely to the delight of Phil...

He sat down in the driver's seat while I fastened my seat belt. Actually, I thought I'd take out my mobile phone to read Jake's last words again.

It was self-torturing, I was aware of that....

Considering the situation, however, my testimony was imminent, I had to remind myself once again. Especially when the police chief didn't look favourably on you.

I needed Jake...

Really badly!

Our chat was the only thing I had left though.

The only thing I would ever have....

But I didn't get the chance. Phil put his hand on my thigh. I wasn't sure if this position was intended. After all, it was very close to my private zone. Jake would go crazy if he knew that. Especially if he saw Phil's hand gently stroking across the inside of my thigh.

"I've let my lawyer know," Phil began in a calm tone. I guess his touch wasn't an attempt at flirtation after all. I was probably just reading way too much into his behaviour. Just because I was looking for a reason for Jake to burst with jealousy.

So that he would finally show up....

But how could he, when he was tragically burnt to death two months ago?

He might be more likely to haunt Phil as a poltergeist. But since I didn't have the leading role in the next horror film, the supernatural was rather out of the question.

Although...

Hadn't I spent weeks chasing the legendary figure "The Man Without a Face".

Who knew what was possible in Duskwood....

On the other hand...

Shouldn't Jake use his ghost powers to send me a message instead of torturing Phil...?!