Chapter 9

Gianna flopped on my bed, almost knocking me off in the process. She grinned up at me, kicking her feet, "How was the party?"

"Surprisingly fun. Derek was really sweet the entire time. I even messed with Jaxon a little," I replied and as soon as the words left my mouth, Gianna's eyes bulged.

"And by messed with, you mean..." She trailed off as she sat up to face me properly.

I laughed, "Not like that," I assured, "He was asking about me and Derek so I made him feel like there is something actually going on. He has some nerve, by the way. Mindy was all over him at the party so why is he worried about what I'm doing?"

"Maybe he likes you?"

I scoffed, shaking my head, "I highly doubt that. He's literally just being a nosy jerk and I can't lie... it was fun pissing him off a little. You should have seen his face. If he bit down any harder he would've chipped a tooth and his eye even twitched a little." I giggled at the memory, "It took all of my willpower to keep myself from laughing in his face."

Gianna giggled and fell back on the bed again, "I think I like this side of you. That poor guy won't even know what hit him."

"I'm done pining after him. He can go fuck himself for all I care."

*

I watched as my mom busied herself in the kitchen. I loved my mom but sometimes I felt like she didn't know how to relax. If she wasn't working, she was cleaning up the house which didn't make sense. Our home was immaculate, from the pristine white walls to the shiny hardwood floors. Our kitchen and bathrooms were always spotless and our mom made sure we never left our rooms untidy. It got to a point where I couldn't leave a singular piece of clothing on the floor. It goes against my nature now.

"Are you okay, Mom?" I asked as she pulled the chicken out of the oven. The scent of honey barbecue invaded my senses and my eyes almost rolled to the back of my head.

Her brown eyes lift to meet mine, "Yeah. Why?"

"Well... for starters, it's Saturday afternoon and you're cooking like it's Easter Sunday," I began then my heart stopped, hand coming up to cover my open mouth, "Are you and Dad getting a divorce? Is this your way of buttering us up? I can't believe you would do this to us. How cou-"

My mom cut me off with a bark of laughter, "Hold on. Why would it be my fault if your dad and I got a divorce? Why can't it be him?"

I just stared at her, giving her a look of disbelief, "Be so for real right now, Mom. Dad would never do something like that. You're his entire world."

"And you think that he isn't mine?"

I shrugged and grabbed one of her freshly baked cookies, taking a bite, "If I had to put my money on one of you initiating the divorce, it would be you," I said with my mouth full.

"Wow... it really is your own children that do you dirty. I can't wait for you and your sister to go off to college."

A small laugh bubbled out of me. I knew she was going to miss us the most. Both of our parents doted on us but our mom overdid it sometimes. It didn't matter what she said, I knew the truth.

"So no divorce?"

The glare she levelled me with was answer enough. Somewas was a little testy today. I didn't want to push my luck so I settled on just sitting on the barstool and watching her work. I offered her some help numerous times and each time I was met with "I got it."