Chapter 5

"Bertha can turn into a ghost for all I care," Avery says, back in the middle of Kara. She almost spits out the words. Her arms, usually stable and leveled with the rest of her body, flail around. "We're not dealing with that shit. We're going to be a self-taught party." 

It's the first time seeing Avery so crossed. I almost... look up to her for it. 

"Seriously," Princess says. "All she did was put Hope down the whole time! I feel so bad. We're not going back to that. Ever." 

Juno nods. Under the shade of a medium-sized tree, he reaches out almost tentatively and pats me on the back. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Hope. I feel responsible. I'm the one who paid for the class."

"Don't be," I say. "Thanks for paying for it. I... I'm just glad to have supportive party members like you guys."

"That's what we have to be," Avery says. "If we're going to make it as one of the greats."

For what feels like ten minutes, we sit and relax, and I guess everyone's reflecting on the training session. A self-taught party? How much harder do we need to work to make a name for ourselves? Between self-taught and traditionally trained, most parties that are successful go the traditional route. I guess it's much like starting your own shop without support from the city's governor. Then again, self-taught is becoming a more popular option. With manuals and unofficial mentors, parties can usually succeed by gaining experience on their own. Leveling up from monster to monster, until eventually the party proves strong enough to face a boss.

"What now?" Juno says.

It feels like my spot to answer, like I'm responsible for our wandering. "I think... we can go to the library. Let's study up all we can about what makes a party great. Then tomorrow, we can practice getting into formation again. And our skills."

"Brilliant!" Princess says. She gives her blonde hair a little flip and leads us in the direction of the library.

Even though I've been avoiding my thoughts, I let the images of my parents come over me as I walk. Yes, they restricted me, put me on one path only—dedication to the Following. They crushed every thought I had outside of the Following. They hardened up at my ideas that went against the ideals, of being a faithful member. And beyond that, they crushed my dreams.

But they provided for me. I remember the kindness in my mother's face as we made a squash pie together. My father as he told me about the day the goddess would return, giving salvation for us—the pure joy on his face. I remember our quiet nights after farming. Singing a hymn to the goddess.

"Is that it?" I ask, wanting to break myself out of my own thoughts.

Juno hums in confirmation.

The library resembles a log cabin, except built in four stories, bookended by two giant trees. It exudes an ancient air, like it's been there for several centuries. With a plethora of windows on each floor, they break apart the gleam of the polished wood, which shines like paint in the afternoon sunlight. A class-sized group of teenagers exit the building, with a variety of other ages lingering in the front, turning over the books they've borrowed in their hands.

Once inside, I admire the way the sconces are placed strategically between the shelves, lit by mages' fire. The ancient element of the library makes it come to life, the smell of old pages intermingling with whispers. The colors of the bound books makes for what I only imagined possible with an oil painting.

We decide to split up. I head to the second floor, lost in the amount of choices that the people of Kara have. They can lead their education, lost in endless words if they want to be. I find a section completely dedicated to the goddess.