Chapter 8

(Sunday)

"Please, Mom," Juno pleads, clasping his hands together to emphasize his desperation. Jhene assesses her son, one hand on her hip, the other ceasing its motion in the cake batter. She places the spoon on the bowl's edge and says, "Juno, are you sure this boy knows how to cut hair? Is he reliable enough to arrive at work punctually? You know my stance on employing students after the incident with Trisha." Juno's frown deepens as he recalls the incident from a year ago when his mother employed a female student who ended up stealing one thousand dollars in revenue. He shakes his head before motioning his hands, "Malik isn't like that, Ma, and from what I've seen, he's very responsible. Could you please consider it? I promised I'd try to help him." Juno's movements in his hands slowed, his disappointment growing as he felt he was failing his promise. Jhene released a deep sigh and shook her head, then gently lifted her spoon, murmuring, "Alright, alright, but only because you appear so compassionate and eager to assist the young man. I didn't say he was like Trisha, but I can't be too certain either. Your father advises me to be more cautious and observant of people, and that's what I've been striving to do."

Juno smiles coming around the counter to hug his mother. "Wait a minute now, don't squeeze too hard my sides hurt," Jhene says softly as Juno releases her stepping back with a smile. Jhene looks at her son before saying, "Tell Malik to stop by the shop at 5:00 pm, no later than that, if he isn't at those glass doors by 4:50, or 4:58 pm, he can consider himself fired before he's even hired." Juno nods eagerly, watching her return to the batter. He pulls out his cell phone and sends Malik a quick text: "I spoke with my mother, and she mentioned if you're interested in the job, swing by the shop tomorrow around 4:50 pm." He hits send, adding a smiley face to the message. Meanwhile, Jhene greases the pan, ensuring the sides and bottom are coated, then pours the pink cake mix in. Juno watches with anticipation, waiting for her to finish so he can enjoy the leftover batter from the bowl.

"Have you started looking into colleges for post-graduation?" Jhene inquires, glancing up at Juno as he hands her the bowl. Juno nods, then walks around to the other side of the bar and takes a seat. "Which schools are you considering?" Jhene probes, her curiosity piqued since she and her husband haven't yet discussed their impending move with the children. Juno scrapes the spoon along the bowl, tasting the strawberry batter. With the spoon still in his mouth, he uses sign language to reply, "I'm thinking about Houston Christian University because the tuition is affordable and scholarships are readily available. Then there's Lamar University nearby. I plan to become a Biologist, so I'll likely choose whichever college offers the best program." Jhene smiles and nods, suggesting, "How about looking up schools around the Dallas, TX area?" Juno tilts his head, removing the spoon from his mouth as he finishes the last bit of batter. Dallas is quite a distance away, and unless he opts for an online program, he doubts his parents are willing to drive six hours to drop him off at college.

Then there's Alicia and the college she's decided on as well. "I'm trying to find something close to home to experience campus life," Juno signs to his mother, who closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "I'm urging you to consider colleges because we're planning to move to Dallas after your and your sister's graduation," Jhene says softly. Juno pauses, his smile faltering slightly. "What?" he asks, his voice trembling slightly with upset as he listens to her gentle voice. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Juno, but I wanted to wait until after you graduated. However, seeing you make friends and grow closer to others made me feel it was right to tell you now, so you won't be too upset with us when it's time for us to leave."

Jhene bites her bottom lip, observing her son's expression. Juno's face is blank as he signs, "Mom, I'm upset now. Why do we have to move?" Taking a deep breath, he continues, "I've finally made friends, and now you're taking me away from them. I might never find people like them again." Juno feels a wave of emotion as he retreats into his thoughts. Jhene frowns, reaching out to hold her son's hands on the table. "Junnie, why do you act as if you can't make other friends? There are many people in the world like Malik and your other friends."