Chapter 7

"Juno?" A gentle tap on his shoulder prompts him to lift his head, meeting Hakeem's gaze, who sports a small grin. "I was wondering where you'd gone. Why are you holed up in this dusty library? Where's your dude?" Hakeem inquires, pulling out a chair and sitting across from him. Juno reads his lips, quickly checks for drool, and sighs in relief at finding none. He grabs his pen, opens his math journal, and turns to the next blank page. "I was waiting for Malik; he said he'd be here at 9:00 am. Did you need something?" he asks pushing the journal towards him."Malik? Well, he thirty minutes late, but speaking of him, I saw him and Ms Campbell walking towards her office. I wonder if he's in trouble." Hakeem lets Juno know this as Juno peers down at his watch. It sure is almost ten as he grabs his phone seeing no message from Malik. He then grabs his journal writing down, "Thanks for letting me know Keem, what could he have done to be in her office this early?" Juno leans backward in his chair staring at the male who shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know but you know how the staff is here. They be bugging for no reason sometimes." Juno nods his head smiling.

"You're not still thinking about staying here and waiting for him, are you?" Hakeem questions Juno, who nods. Leaving would be rude, especially since Malik might come later. "You can't stay in the library; you've already missed second period," Hakeem says, standing up and gesturing with his hand. "The bell just rang; we have five minutes to get to the third period. Let's go." Juno nods, standing up. Hakeem is right; he can't miss the third period. He grabs his phone and sends Malik a quick text: "I hope you're okay. I waited in the library for you, but I have a class. Maybe we can meet before the fourth period?" He hits send, slings his bookbag over his shoulder, and follows Hakeem out of the library.

The sidewalks were crowded, so Juno walked on the grass to avoid bumping into people. Conveniently, the library was right next to A-hall, and using the side doors, both young men entered the narrow corridors. Juno glanced at Hakeem, who had a small smile on his face, prompting Juno to look forward. "Bug!" Solange shouted, running towards them. She hugged Hakeem and playfully nudged his shoulder. Juno smiled, took out his journal, and wrote, "Hi Sol," showing it to her as they walked down the hall. "I had no idea you were in this hall for the third period. Why didn't you tell me? We could have walked to class together," Solange said. Juno wrote back, "I usually wait by the library or in a stall until the halls clear. I typically walk with Alicia to my classes." Solange read it aloud. Hakeem raised an eyebrow and said, "Speaking of Alicia, she mentioned she needed to talk to you, Solange." He teased her hair. "Don't pull too hard; it's a clip-on wig," Solange warned, positioning herself between the two. 

 "Talk to me about what? I swear if it's about my brother, that ain't none of my business. I told her not to give up the cat too soon until she knew what timing that nigga was on? Hardhead makes a soft ass now he probably ghosting her," Solange informs them, causing Juno to frown as he clutches his journal. "He better not be ghosting her, or I'll beat his ass," Juno writes, showing Solange. Her eyes widen at his words. "Juno, you can fight? You just don't seem like the type, never mind," she remarks, and he nods. "I agree, I didn't even know you could swear," Hakeem adds, siding with Solange. Juno nods again, "Yes, I can fight. I took boxing classes as a kid, and my dad taught me too. I prefer to avoid fights, but that leads people to think I can't defend myself because I'm reserved. However, when push comes to shove, I'm ready to throw hands." 

Hakeem snickers as Solange remarks, "I'm glad you mentioned that; my cousin operates an underground boxing ring. They charge and bet on matches, and if you're a skilled fighter, maybe you could lend me a hand sometime." "Haha, I can't picture his little self fighting anyone, and with a boyfriend like Malik, he wouldn't need to fight," Hakeem informs them, causing Juno to frown as he observes the boy entering his classroom. "Be quiet, Juno, don't mind him, I believe in you," Solange reassures him as she follows Hakeem into their classroom. Juno watches the teacher close the door before he enters his own.