Chapter 15

I don't expect Eve to so easily lead me into her apartment — that would be insanely easy, all I would need is a moment of distraction, or a good night of sleep. How easily can someone's world shatter.

She is smarter than that.

We stand in front of the gym, my hands in my pockets as she shakes her head. "I'll go with Shimon."

"Why? We can save gas if we just go in mine, don't you care about the environment?"

She points at my car, a black Citroën Saxo — in truth that's just its shell. Inside its hood, there is a lot more than meets the eye. "You clearly don't, that thing will break down halfway through... but not before releasing 30 types of fumes into the atmosphere."

I roll my eyes. "You're so dramatic."

She turns to Shimon again, who is standing near her car, his arms crossed over his chest as he analyzed us carefully. "We will meet there."

I click my tongue, walking towards my own car, unlocking it. "Have it your way," I murmur, looking back at her one more time before sitting in the driver's seat. Shimon drives at a snail's pace, and I have no choice but to stay behind.

I glance at the rearview mirror, spotting the blue sedan behind me. It's been following us ever since we left the gym. The traffic light turns red, allowing Eve to go on ahead as I remain behind with the blue car. I try to take a look at whoever is inside, but the tinted windows make it nearly impossible.

Did Eve hire people to tail me? Investigate me? If so, I have to play my cards right. If not, I have a problem.

The car continues following me for the rest of the ride until I manage to lose them when we reach a traffic jam. I quickly send Beinis the license plate as I park in front of my apartment.

"I thought we would have to go look for you," Eve says when I step out of the car, her window rolled down.

I look at Shimon, who is already beside me, opening Eve's door. "Should I stay, ma'am?" he asks.

She nods. "Yes, please."

I'll definitely have to get rid of this guy, some way or another.

Shimon steps aside as she gets out of the car. I open the door for her, letting her walk ahead of me as we make our way up to the third floor. Once inside, her eyes scan the room again, as if it's the first time she has been here, stopping on my bed, where just yesterday she had to dress my wounds.

"What exactly did you plan on doing once you got me here?" she asks, walking towards the kitchen.

"Oh, you know, steal your valuables, kill you," I shrug. "The usual."

"Right," she rolls her eyes.

"Make yourself at home," I mutter, watching her go through my cabinets. "There is no need to be shy about it."

She opens the fridge, turning back to look at me. "You can't be serious."

"What?"

"It's empty," she points at it. "There is nothing to eat at this house."

"Uh... I'm not the best cook, I usually just order or buy already made," I let out a nervous laugh.

"You don't even have cereal?"

"I have... Cheetos?"

She stares at me, her expression unreadable, before she closes the fridge. "How did you manage to live this long? It's hard to believe even your parents would allow you to move out while being this useless."