Chapter 14

"Eretz, do you have any idea of how much your little stunt could have cost us?" Avera says, his tone of voice calm and composed, as he takes a drag out of his cigar. "This is unacceptable, you could have put the entire operation in jeopardy."

"With all due respect, sir, the operation is moving faster now than before. The target has become attached to me, she will open soon enough," I answer calmly, standing in front of him.

"No more funny business, Eretz," he warns, pointing a finger at me. "And stop threatening our client, for goodness's sake."

"I can't promise that," I shrug.

He sighs, leaning back into his chair. "You're dismissed."

I nod, turning around to leave, but before I can take a step, he speaks again. "Oh, and Eretz? I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but this is the second time you have shown such poor judgement," he says, his voice low, almost threatening. "I like you, I do. Don't disappoint me again."

"I won't, sir," I leave without another word, walking out of his office. My mind feels numb, and I have a feeling that this won't be going away, not until I get a clear shot at Eve — both figuratively and literally.

She is supposed to be a means to an end, a tool for me to use to achieve my goals. And yet, I find myself being more interested in her than I should... She's kind, beautiful, strong, smart. She's everything I could ever ask for in a woman.

And yet, I'm supposed to kill her.

I walk towards my car, stopping by the door. I lean against it, looking up at the sky. I want to go home, to rest, to just lie down on the bed and sleep for a thousand years. But instead, I go to the gym.

I'm not sure if Eve is going to show up after yesterday's major fail. I still can't believe I froze, that I couldn't just lean in and kiss her. And now, who knows when I'll get the chance again.

"Yael," Leah says cheerfully as soon as she sees me, getting up from the reception desk. "You're back already? You've only rested for a day."

"Hey," I nod. "I'm fine, don't worry about it."

"I heard about the coffee shop, did you get caught in it?" she asks, walking closer. "I wanted to check up on you when I found out, but you didn't answer any of my texts."

I raise an eyebrow, taking out my phone. Sure enough, there are several messages from her, asking me if I'm alright, and if I need anything. Her eyes fall on my flip phone. "Yeah... I'm not very good at keeping in touch," I mutter, putting it back in my pocket. "I'm sorry."

She gives me an amused smile. "Don't tell me you're one of those people."

"One of those people?" I raise my eyebrows.

"That avoid social media and procrastination at all cost."

"No, I'm just old-fashioned," I say with a shrug.

"Yeah? I would have never guessed, what with the flip phone and the Nike jackets," she laughs.

"What's wrong with my gym clothes?"

She looks at me up and down, her eyes stopping at my face. "Nothing," she smiles. "It looks good on you."

I click my tongue. "Sure."

"Oh, that's right. Let me warn Ms. Blau that you are back," she says, picking up the phone. "She didn't want any other trainer, are you that good?" she asks with a teasing tone.

"The best," I play along. "I'll be in the machine area."

I walk through the empty halls of the gym, making my way to the cardio area, where I can hear the music coming from the speakers. It's empty, save for a couple of people using the treadmills. If there is no one to teach, then I'll just make myself comfortable and exercise myself. I make my way towards the weights, starting with some warm up exercises, before moving onto the bench press.

I'm halfway into my third set when I see her come into the room. She's wearing her usual office attire, her hair up in a ponytail. Her eyes immediately find me, a scowl on her face.

I smile, nodding my head at her as she approaches. She doesn't return the gesture. "What are you doing here?"

"I work here," I say matter-of-factly. "You might want to change your clothes before we start with our session, unless you are going for that sweaty businessman look."

Eve gives me a blank stare. "You were supposed to be resting," she says, ignoring my joke. "Go home."

"I feel fine," I shake my head, putting the weights back on the rack. "Besides, I have already lost a job. I have bills to pay, you know."

I can't afford to waste any more time beating around the bush. A day without progress is a lost day, and I want to be alive long enough to at least be able to convince Eve to go out on a date.

She takes a deep breath, closing her eyes for a second. "You have probably already messed up with your healed wounds" she frowns. "There is no way you're not feeling it."

"As I said, it's not an option," I walk up to her. She doesn't move away as I get closer to her, but she doesn't say anything either until I raise my eyebrows.

"If money is the problem—"

"I don't want your money," I interrupt her.

"Then what would it take for you to go home and rest?"

"I want you to take care of me," I say simply, taking a step back. "Since you are so concerned about my well-being, I will let you do just that."

Eve's eyes widen slightly, and I can see the slightest hint of a blush on her cheeks. "That's ridiculous," she mutters.

"It's the only way you'll have me resting," I say. "Unless you want me to die of an infection or something, maybe I'll even bleed to death."

She stares at me, her expression unreadable. "I should have known this was a trap."

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free