Chapter 27

Previously on Chapter 26

After a while the sound of her screaming stops. I can't bear to look, knowing all that's left of her are ashes. I feel tears streaming down my cheeks. She's gone... I can't believe she's gone.

-I Can't Believe It-

Kyoujuro P.O.V

I shut my eyes tightly as I start to cry. My heart aches painfully against my chest. Y/N is gone. She's been burnt into ashes. I could've done better. She was right not to come here. This is all my fault.

I hear gasp coming from my Father. I lift my head to look at him. He's staring ahead with shock written all over his face. I furrowed my eyebrows and turn my head forward even though I'm still scared of seeing Y/N has become nothing but ashes.

My eyes widened when I see Y/N. She's kneeling on the ground, staring at her hand. "Y-Y/N..." I said. She lift her head to look at me. Her body is all right. There are no sign of burns.

"You're alive..." I cried out. I stand up and rushes over to her, pulling her into a tight hug. "I can't believe it... you are alive, Y/N! You were burnt by the sun. But... you're still alive!!" I said, hugging her close. She just place her chin on my shoulder.

"I don't know what happened either..." she mumbled. I feel her arms going around my torso. I don't care what happened or how it could be possible. What matters to me the most is that she's still alive, and that she's okay.

"I'm tired..." she said, in a hushed tone. I pull away to look at her. Her eyes are droopy as they're barely open. She closes her eyes and drifted off to sleep. I just smile as I stare at her face. No sign of pain is shown on her face. Which lets me know that she's okay. I let out a sigh of relief as I hold her close.

What happened to her? Her eyes are still showing signs that she's a demon. Even her fangs remain. I turn my head to look at the sky, where the sun is right above us. For some reason, she seems to have gained the ability to conquer the sun. The sun doesn't seem to be a bother to her anymore.

"Why do you still holding onto that thing?" Father said. It turn my head to look at him. He stares at Y/N with a hateful gaze. "Get rid of it... now!" He demanded. I just tighten my grip around Y/N.

"No, Father. Can't you see she is different?" I said. I stare at him with a pleading gaze. "Please, Father. Don't make me take her away..." I pleaded. He stared at me with an angry face. But I just keep on holding onto Y/N, while silently begging him to let Y/N stay with us.

He closes his eyes as he heaved out a sigh. "Whatever. Just keep her out of my sight..." he said, turning around and walks away. I let out a sigh of relief because he's not going to make me get rid of Y/N. She gets to stay here with us.

I gently place my hands behind her knees and on her back. I get up with her in my arms. I make my way inside the room she's in. I lay her down on the futon. I pull the blanket up to her chest. I sit down next to her, placing my hand on her head.

"I'm so glad you're still alive..." I whispered in a hushed tone. I lean down, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. A soft smile starts to form on my lips as I stare at her face. Thank you for still being here, Y/N. I don't know what I would've done if you're gone. Even though you'd never be mine. Knowing that you're alive and okay is all that I need.

***

Y/N P.O.V

I slowly open my eyes to see I'm laying on a futon. The last thing I remember is feeling pain all over my body after getting exposed to the sunlight. But it only lasted for a while, before the pain vanishes completely. I lift my hands, to see there are no burn wounds on them.

I turn my head to the side to see the door is wide open, allowing the sun to seep through. I hesitate a little. But I outstretched my hand, letting the sunlight hits it. I stare at my hand in shock, when the sun didn't burn it. I move my hand closer to my face as I stare at it. No signs of it getting burned. How is that possible? How could it be possible for me to suddenly developed immunity to the sun?

I hear footsteps and turn my head to see Kyoujuro. He smiles when he notices that I'm awake. "How are you feeling?" He asked, walking towards me and take a seat on the floor next to the futon.

"I'm okay... although, I don't know what happened. I shouldn't be alive now, as I got exposed to sunlight. But I'm still alive..." I said. He just stares at me with a sad gaze.

"Why'd you do that? Why did you step out? When you know you could've died..." he said. I just turn my head away. I keep my mouth shut, not saying anything to his question. "I thought you were going to die. You scared me, Y/N..." he said.

I move to sit down, keeping my head away from him to avoid making eye-contact. "Forgive me. But it would be better if I die... rather than staying and be the cause of you and your father getting into a fight" I said. I feel my body getting pulled into a hug. My head is rested on his shoulder.

"Don't talk like that, Y/N... I don't want you to die" he said. He gently run his hand through my hair. "I know that I will never be able to have you as mine. But... I'd rather see you alive and okay" he said. I let out a shaky breath as I bury my face into the crook of his neck. He hugs me tightly.

"And if I let you die. It would mean I broke the promise I made to Akaza that I will keep you safe" he said. I bit my lips as I feel tears slowly streams down my cheeks at the mention of Akaza's name. He would be heartbroken if I die. I'm so selfish for thinking about myself. I didn't even think of who'd get affected the most if I had died. Forgive me, Akaza. I miss you so much... I wanna see you again.

*to be continued*