Chapter 10

Grace slowly entered Hudson's hospital room. He looked at her before quickly looking away. Rex walked beside Grace's wheelchair as she wheeled herself closer to the bed. She gently took his hand in hers. 

 "Hudson...Are you alright...?" she asked quietly.

 "Yes...It's nothing really...Don't worry about it..." Hudson spoke slowly.

 Grace took a deep, shaky breath before nervously speaking. "Danielle and Mark told me everything..." 

 Hudson snapped to attention and looked at her. "What do you mean, 'everything'....?"

 "They told me that I'm living in a pack full of werewolves. They told me that I'm your mate."

 Hudson's eyes were wide. He shook his head, regaining his composure before looking away from her. "They shouldn't have done that."

 "Oh? And would you prefer them to have kept the fact you were attacked by rogues a secret? The fact you are in the hospital?" Grace asked. Hudson didn't answer. "Hudson, I know I'm your mate. I know about the mate bond and I know about......rejection...." She hated even saying the word. It brought pain to her chest even thinking about it. "I know you are a warrior. It's an important job. I'm proud of you, Hudson...You're very good at what you do..." 

 Hudson looked at her and saw the sincerity in her eyes. He gave a small smile. "Thank you..."

 "Do you want me?" Grace's bluntness surprised not just Hudson, but Grace herself, and Rex. Rex looked up at the two and whined. Grace looked down at him, smiling a little. "It's ok, buddy..." she said quietly. She then looked back up at Hudson. "I need to know, Hudson. Do you want me?"

 "I...." Hudson said in a quiet tone. "I-I...."

 "Hudson, I know the bond is strong between us. But I need your honest answer and I want it now. I want to know where we stand. How do you feel about me? Do you want me as your mate?"

 Hudson didn't answer her right away. How did he feel about her?? He could feel himself falling head over heels in love with her that's how he felt about her. Did he want her as his mate? That, he didn't know.

 "I don't know...." Hudson's voice was quiet. Pain shot through not just Grace's chest but also his.

 "What do you mean, Hudson?? Do you love me?? Do you want me?? I deserve to know..." Grace said. She was trying to hold back her tears.

 "I don't know! Ok, Grace?? I don't know! I was never even sure if I wanted a mate period!" he exclaimed, pulling his hand away from her. 

 She gave a small gasp as his hand was pulled away from her grip. Her tears slowly began to fall. She nodded. "Ok...Thank you for being honest, Hudson...If you want to talk, you have my number..." she said in a quiet voice.

 Guilt coursed through his chest as Hudson watched her wheel herself out. Rex stopped briefly to look back sadly at him before joining his mistress. He lay back on his pillow, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. "What do I do...?"

 "I guess I know why you weren't sure if you wanted to accept her." a voice reached his ears. He looked up in surprise and saw his parents standing in the doorway. "She's a paraplegic and she's human. That's the reason. Isn't it, son?" Mr. Judge asked, as he and his wife walked over.

 "Yes sir..." Hudson said quietly. "I just wanted to be as good of a warrior as you were...I wanted to be the head warrior and make you proud....I just don't know if I can take care of her, protect her, and be a good warrior at the same time..."

 "Son, just because she's human and in a wheelchair doesn't mean she's helpless." Mrs. Judge spoke up.

 "She cute herself getting some lemonade, mom!" Hudson declared.

 "That doesn't mean anything, Hudson. I've cut myself plenty of times! I'm not in a wheelchair or human. Does that make me helpless?" Hudson didn't answer his mother. He looked away from her.

 "Hudson." his father spoke firmly. The young man looked at his father. "I became a warrior and I was able to accomplish many things. I was a good warrior and I'm proud of that. But do you know what is more important than being a good warrior?"

 "What...?"

 "Being a good mate." Mr. Judge looked at his mate with a loving smile. "Your mother is the reason I was such a great warrior. She kept me going. She supported me and was always there for me. Now, I know you want to be a good warrior. I know you want to make me proud. But son, I'm already proud of you. I couldn't be prouder. You are a good warrior. But your mate can help you, Hudson. If you'll only let her.."

 "She can't help me, dad! She can't even help herself!" Hudson declared.

 "That's what you think?" a girl's voice reached his ears. He looked towards the doorway to see Danielle. She didn't look happy. "Grace loves you, Hudson Judge. She is not helpless. She might need help sometimes but that doesn't mean she's helpless! Did you know that we take turns every night cooking?? Grace makes dinner every other day. If she couldn't help herself, I wouldn't leave her alone when I go on my dates with Mark!" Hudson instantly regretted his words. He looked away from Danielle. "I can't believe you, Hudson...All she's ever wanted was someone to love her....Someone who'd love her despite the fact she's paralyzed. I thought maybe you would help her see she is worthy of love...I guess I was wrong." With that, the girl left.

 Hudson's parents looked at him. "Hudson, Danielle is right. Even if she is in a wheelchair it doesn't mean she can't help you." Mrs. Judge said softly.

 "Do you remember me telling you about my grandparents, son?" Mr. Judge asked. 

 Hudson nodded slowly. "Great grandmother died a few months before I was born...Great grandfather died a month after I was born...Right?"

 "Yes, Hudson. And do you remember how your great grandfather was the head warrior?" the man's son nodded in response. "Well, one thing I didn't tell you, was that your great grandmother was disabled."