4 Powerful Ways to Beautify Your Du'as

It goes without saying that du’a (supplication) is one of the most integral components of Islam. Islam is based upon the idea of each individual having a direct relationship with Allah, and supplication is the means in which we communicate with Allah.

With that being said, there are some things taught to us by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and taught to us by Allah in the Qur’an which advise us on how we can help beautify our supplications. In other words, these are factors that can affect Allah’s response to our du’a. Let’s examine 4 simple and practical ways we can beautify our supplication:

1. Begin your supplication by praising Allah and sending blessings to the Prophets

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “When any one of you supplicates (makes du’a), let him start by praising Allah, then let him send blessings upon the Prophet, then let him supplicate however he wishes.” (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood).

When making supplication, many Muslims simply raise their hands and rattle off a list of things they want from Allah. I’ve certainly been guilty of this. However, we need to understand the appropriate method to begin our supplication.

We should start our supplication by praising Allah in general and then thanking him for one or two specific things. For instance, I might start my supplication by reciting Surah Fatiha, since that is a du’a in which we praise Allah, or I might start by reciting Ayatul Kursi. After that, I should thank Allah for a couple of specific blessings he’s given me today, such as a comfortable place to pray from or perhaps the meal I just finished. Next, the appropriate thing to do is to send our blessings to all the prophets, from Prophet Adam (AS) to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The key point is that we should be thankful for what we have and for the guidance Allah has given us before asking for anything else. Afterall, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) taught us that thankfulness is half of faith.

Think of it this way. If a child wants to ask their parent for a slice of cake for dessert, there is a fifty-fifty chance the parent might say ‘no.’ However, if the child first thanks the parent for the delicious dinner they were served and then asks for the cake, the chances of the parents saying “yes” have increased.

We should supplicate to Allah in the same way. We should first show appreciation for what He has given us before asking for more. Therefore, it is important to start each supplication by praising Allah and then sending blessings to the prophets.

2. Make your supplication with full hope that it will be answered

Abu Huraira reported: Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “Call upon Allah with certainty that he will answer you. Know that Allah will not answer the supplication of a heart that is negligent and distracted.” (Tirmidhi)

We need to have the right expectation when we think of Allah. Realize that Allah is not neutral in his attitude toward us. No, He is actually on our side and looking for a reason to bless us, not for a reason to punish us. Whenever we supplicate or ask Him for anything, we should have the full conscious expectation that He will accept our supplication.

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Allah says, ‘I am as My servant expects Me to be.’” (Bukhari)

The above quotation is the first sentence in a long hadith; however, just this sentence holds an ocean of knowledge. It shows us that we get from Allah what we expect. If I expect harshness from Allah, then that is what I’ll get. However, if I expect good things from Allah, if I have high hopes in His mercy, and if I have high hopes that he’ll accept my good deeds, multiply my reward, and accept my supplication, then that is what I will get, Insha’Allah. To put it plainly: our expectation affects what we receive from Allah.