ITS A NEW YEAR

Not at any point am I encouraging that we celebrate the arrival of the new year but take it as an opportunity for ourselves to better from.

A Muslimahs Journal

Its a New Year

Assalamu-alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I am sure that you are all aware  The start of a new year according to the Georgian calendar. The 1st of January 2023. Alhamdulillah.

It is a common tradition that before the new year arrives people often think of New Year's Resolutions. Some sort of personal promise which you have to see as your target for the year ahead. And within the year to come you have to put your full attention(when and where possible)in order for you to reach your own chosen target. Some examples of New year resolutions are

1.Organise my things

2.Boost my confidence

3.Learn how to cook

4.Lose weight

5.Quit smoking

And there are many more. However if you look at the above mentioned resolutions, you may see that these are all things that people want to achieve to make them academically or physically successful. None of the above show that by doing this we may increase or better ourselves spiritually. As Muslims we should regularly stop and think How can I make myself a better person in the eyes of Allah. One of the answers to this question is we can do so by enhancing our character and devoting ourselves to Allah and also to Islam.

Many of you reading maybe thinking but the Islamic Year started in Muharram. I am aware that Islamic year is coming soon. For those of you who used the opportunity to change ourselves on Muharram 1st 1443-1444 Masha-Allah. May Allah make it is easy for you to reach your targets. But those of us who haven't, think of this as Allah's way of giving us another chance to change ourselves. Another reminder for us to set ourselves some targets.

Firstly we should all take this chance to thank Allah the most high for blessing us all with the new year. A reminder that there is still time to change ourselves. That there is still time for us to become better Muslims. Not at any point am I encouraging that we celebrate the arrival of the new year but take it as an opportunity for ourselves to better from.

Then we should also look back at the year that has just passed us. Look and think of the mistakes that we did. Then try to think of ways in which we could remove those mistakes from our lives from this day on.

We should think about on average how much time we may have wasted. Let's look at an example as to what happens if we spent 3 hours a day watching television. To help us resolve the problem we need to follow 4 steps...

1.STOP !

2.THINK !

3.DO THE MATHS !

4.Look for a solution.

In a year there is approximately 24 x 365 = 8760 hours

You spent on T.V 3 x 365 = 1095 hours

8760 ÷ 1095 =8

This means that in the last year you spent wasted an 1/8 th of the year on T.V.

It may seem like OH MY , that's a lot, but feeling guilty isn't going to resolve anything. We need to ask for Allah's infinite mercy, guidance and also forgiveness. Remember Allah says in the Qura'an

Indeed upon Us is guidance, Surah Al-Lail (Ayah 12)

We need to repent and look at our actions more regularly. See how we are spending our time and if what we are spending our time on is beneficial for us in the Hereafter. In Sha Allah with the help of Allah we can all make the most of this opportunity that has been given to us.

And rather than spending tonight contemplating over all the bad times of this year, why dont you start the year with an empty jar and fill it with notes about good things that happen. Then next year , empty it and see what good stuff happened that year. Just an idea.

Here is a quick story on how we can utilise our time wisely. This is not written by me, but taken from an article so I cant take credit for this.

Since last night my young son has been unwell. When I got back from Work this evening I decided to take him to hospital despite my exhaustion.
There were many waiting; perhaps we will be delayed by more than an hour. I took my number and sat down in the waiting room. There were many faces, young and old, but all silent. Some brothers made use of the many booklets available in the waiting room.
Some of those waiting had their eyes closed, while others were looking around.. Most were bored. Once in a while the long silence was broken by a nurse calling out a number. Happiness appears on the one whose turn it is, and he gets up quickly; then silence returns.
A young man grabbed my attention. He was reading a pocket-sized Quran continuously; not raising his head even once. At first I did not think much about him. However, after one hour of waiting my casual glances turned into a deep reflection about his lifestyle and how he utilises his time. One hour of life wasted! Instead of making benefit of that hour, it was just a boring wait. Then the call for prayer was made. We went to prayer in the hospital's Masjid. I tried to pray close to the man who was reading the Quran earlier in the waiting room.
After the prayer I walked with him. I informed him of how impressed I was of him and how he tries to benefit from his time. He told me that most of our time is wasted without any benefit. These are days that go from our lives without being conscious of them or regretting their waste. He said that he started carrying the pocket-sized Quran around when a friend encouraged him to make full use of his time. He told me that in the time other people waste he gets to read much more of the Quran than he gets to read either at home or in the Masjid.
Moreover, besides the reward of reading the Quran, this habit saves him from boredom and stress. He added that he has now been waiting for one and a half hours. Then he asked, when will you find one and a half hours to read the Quran?
I reflected; 
How much time do we waste? How many moments of our lives pass by, and yet we do not account for how they passed by? Indeed, how many months pass by and we do not read the Quran? I came to respect my companion, and I discovered that I am to stand for account and that time is not in my hand; so what am I waiting for?
My thoughts were interrupted by the nurse calling out my number; I went to the doctor. But I want to achieve something now. After I left the hospital I quickly went to the bookshop and bought a pocket-sized Quran. I decided to be mindful of how I spend the time.

Note:-This is a reminder for all to utilise time wisely so that we can make the most out of the time that Allah has given us.

السلام و علیکم ورحمتہ اللہْ

May Allah help us all. Remember me and the entire Muslim Ummah in your Duas.
Allah' slave.