Chapter 13:

Aidan snapped out of his thoughts once he heard a knock on the bathroom door. He had been flooded with memories of his grandfather and all the training he had received. Suddenly, he had a strong urge to roam through the house.

"Are you alive in there?" Ian asked, and Aidan groaned.

"Yeah, just zoned out. I am getting out now," Aidan said. He drained the water out and got dressed. He walked out, and Ian had his arms crossed.

"What?"

"What in the world were you daydreaming about for you to be in the tub for three hours? The water is probably freezing."

"I stayed there for three hours? Damn, I was just thinking about my grandfather and the training he put me through. I am starting to understand what he meant."

"Well, that's a relief. Anyway, Thomas is awake."

"Yeah, and really? That's good. Did you tell him about..."

"No, you should tell him that you plan to join. It would mean more coming from you. Especially since he thinks the same thing that I had thought when you said the things you did to that creep."

"Fair point. I will go visit him then."

"I am starving, so gonna raid the fridge."

"Have at it," Aidan said. He walked to the room that Thomas was in, and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Thomas said faintly. Aidan walked in and closed the door behind him. Thomas looked up at Aidan before averting his gaze.

"Uhm, how are you feeling?"

"I am still really sore. That's to be expected, though, since I have a lot of stitches."

"Yeah, glad I was able to do something quickly. I am sorry, I didn't know about the electric wires."

"It's not your fault...."

"I am also sorry about the things I said. I didn't mean any of it."

Thomas turned to Aidan, and when he did, he noticed how guilty Aidan looked.

"You didn't?"

"No, I just needed to distract him enough so that I could catch him off guard."

"I see, so you don't hate us?"

"Of course not, I mean if I did... I wouldn't have killed two people, one of them because they almost killed you."

"You killed two people?" Thomas sat up but flinched. Aidan rushed to his side to make him lay back down.

"Hey, stay lying down."

"But-"

"Ian already took care of it."

"I see, that's good."

"I also asked Ian if the offer was still up."

"What offer?"

"The offer where you guys wanted me to join you?"

"Wait, like coming back with us?"

"Yeah."

Thomas couldn't stop smiling as he nodded his head. He wanted to get up, but his entire body was hurting.

"Of course, I was really worried you didn't like us."

"Not the case at all. You should rest."

"Will you stay with me?"

"Tsk, the bed is too small for the two of us. I am going back to my room."

"It's the same size as your bed."

"Good night Thomas!" Aidan raised his voice and walked back to his room. He softly sighed but smiled. His room was his grandfather's old room. He walked to the closet and opened it. Some of his gramps stuff was still in there. He saw a small safe, and he pulled it out and saw that it was locked and he needed a key for it. He grabbed the necklace his grandfather had given him. That's when Aidan noticed the key went to the safe.

"He must have known I would have started snooping, old man," Aidan said with a smile. He unlocked the safe; there was a letter and some other things. He opened the letter and began to read it out loud to himself.

"Dear Aidan,

If you are reading this, you have the key in the form of a necklace. That also means I am no longer alive, and you found the safe. I am not surprised your IQ has probably increased tremendously since then. Hopefully, you understand why I put you through that hellish training, and I hope you kept up with it. The truth is, I am, or rather, I was an assassin. The world's most skilled assassin. Now I am not trying to say I expect you to follow in my footsteps; I know you wanted to be a teacher. But if you do decide to follow my steps, everything I taught you will come in handy. In this safe, there is an envelope that has all of my 'dirty' money. It was from all the jobs I completed and had. It is yours now. I am sure you will be smart with your money.

There is also a ring that was mine that is yours. Don't ever take it off. I am always there for you. Even though I am dead, I will help guide you.

I am proud of you no matter what you decide.

Clyde Johnson"

Aidan took the envelope and the ring out. He slipped the ring on his middle finger, and he smiled. He felt a few tears fall from his eyes as he held the letter. He wasn't the type to show his emotions, but he couldn't help but let them escape this time. He remembered that his grandfather never took it off the ring. Now he knew he had it in his blood. He and his grandfather did live in a different world from normal people. The envelope was placed under all of his clothes in his suitcase. He then put the key back around his neck and put the safe away.

Aidan finally crawled into bed and closed his eyes as exhaustion had finally hit him. Learning the truth about his grandfather and the fight drained his energy. All he wanted was to sleep and get the day over with.