• CHAPTER 52 (last chapter)•

It has been almost two years since I met Ace since Dad died. And I somehow feel some quiet victory. I have changed a lot; every challenge and lesson shaped me and shaped my mind. And maybe that is why I got a raise at work.

"We know that you're new to the job. It hasn't been too long since your addition to the team, but we feel like you deserve an opportunity to be the marketing team manager. You're very talented in what you do, and you have a bright mind with great ideas, and that's exactly what we need. You will be holding the marketing team, making us search for ideas, and then you get to decide whether this is the idea to present to the client or not. You will be right below the CEO." Rob finally took a breath, giving me a smile I couldn't return. I was shaky, unsure of what to say. "So, what do you say?" He added, tapping on his desk with the pen between his fingers.

"I—" I didn't know what to say.

He laughed. "You're shocked, right?"

"Really!"

"I know, but you are very good at what you do. Besides, the team will still be the same. Nothing really will change."

I nodded.

"So? Do I prepare the papers?"

"Yes! Yes! Of course." I smiled and placed my hand on my heart.

Maybe this was my happy ending. Or maybe this was my recompense for all the difficulties I surpassed. In these moments of hardship, I discovered reservoirs of strength within myself that I hadn't tapped into before. The hurdles became stepping stones, pushing me to redefine my limits and expand the boundaries of what I believed I was capable of. The day Dad died, I was hopeless, unsure of what I would do alone in the world, but everything worked out. I've embraced the discomfort of change, realizing that transformation often requires standing up and deciding to ride the waves instead of letting them drown me. The loss of my father, the loss of Ace, the loss of my mother, and the loss of Joe all made me realize something new in myself. I wasn't, after all, as weak and dependent as I thought.

"Ace," I closed the room door behind me, "I am back."

He popped his head out of the bathroom.

"I have a surprise for you." He said, his smile brightening his face.

"Me too!" I excitedly said.

He took my hand and led me to the bed. "You start."

"No, you tell me first."

"I will tell you when I find out what is making you so happy like that," he pushed my hair string behind my ear, "common, tell me."

"Okay," I took a deep breath, "Rob made me the marketing team manager."

"Oh! Congratulations, baby!" He hugged me, "You deserve it so much; you are so talented."

"Okay, you tell me your news now."

"Okay," he pulled his phone out, "this is an apartment," he started swiping pictures of an empty apartment, "in the city, with a water view and big window so you can sit there and enjoy like you used to do at Joe's."

His name made my heart jump, and I frowned.

"Joe kept telling me that this was all you used to do," he gave a small smile I couldn't return. I wished I knew what would happen to enjoy the time left around him more. I took a deep breath and nodded. "If you don't like the apartment, we can look for others until you like one."