• CHAPTER 22 •

"I am trying, Ace! Everyone is saying that the house has been inhabited, you know, for such a long time. The two small houses around have never seen the owner!"

"Joe, Joe, sh." I raised my hand to his face and looked away. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, "And after you get mad at me for yelling at you." I mumbled, walking to my desk, "Listen, I want you to do something, but if anyone finds out you are behind this, I will be the one to bury you." He nodded. "I want you to call the fire department. From a payphone, Joe. Please focus. Just simply say that you were passing by, and you smelled fire, and when you looked around, you saw smoke coming out of this specific house. And give them the number." All the boys in the room exchanged looks, mesmerized by my ideas. I mentally rolled my eyes and took a deep breath. "Once the fire department moves, they will reach the owner. And of course, the owner will fear his big mansion getting devoured by fire so they will show up before the sun is down. Before the moon is up, I want you to make a deal with this owner to sign the house papers the same night, Joe."

He nodded again and stared at me.

"Go, Joe. Please focus."

He walked out of the room. I took a deep breath. "I need to make an important phone call." I waited for the other boys to leave the room before dialling his number. I knew this phone call wouldn't go weel ut I didn't have a choice but to do it. In moments like this, I wish Frank was alive. He was sure of what he was doing and never had to make a phone call to excuse himself for not being able to keep his word. But one thing he taught me well was to stay confident even if you know you are wrong. This was what I knew I was doing right.

"Ace?"

"Hey Al," I sighed, "I needed to tell you something."

"Go ahead."

"The house is not ready yet. We have been trying to find its owner and as soon as we do we will buy it and let you know."

The silence was long and I could only hear his heavy breath. I rolled my eyes, knowing what comes after Al's silence.

"Are you serious, Ace? I knew I shouldn't have followed your words blindly. I shouldn't have told my people."

"Al, listen–"

"Ace, Ace, check, I promised my people a house in the city. You know what happens when you tease savage animals with a treat and you don't give it to them? They bite you."

"I didn't say it won't happen anymore, Al. Listen to me, we are just going to take a little bit more time than promised because we can't find the owner."

"Ace, brother, listen to me. There is no more business between us until you tell me the house is ready for us to move in."

"What does that mean? We are out of your protection?"

"My promise means nothing if you can't keep your own. So the second you tell me the house is ready, you're under my protection again."

The line ended and the beep kept ringing in my ears for the next few minutes. I was furious. Not only at Joe who put me in this situation but also at Al for not giving me a second to explain myself. I punched my desk and sat down, trying to think of an alternative to protect ourselves without Al's help until he moves in.

"Romeo," I called.

He walked in and closed the door.

"What is happening?"

"Find a man to go to Al and tell him to come for a quick meeting."

"Don't you have an assistant now?" He teased.

I gave him a death stare making his smirk disappear from his lips.

"Fine."

The man left in the morning, a few minutes after my conversation with Romeo. He came back and told Romeo to tell me that he wasn't going to accept any meetings with me until his house is ready. Aside from telling the man to highlight the fact that our business is on pause until they move in.