Cry Me An Ocean (11)

TW

Dragging my feet through the mud, I wasn't even focused on where I was going. My feet just carried me.

The sun was shining through the trees but clouds still hung in the air. My cheek stings, my chest too, the blood barely dried. My shirt hung open still damp from the rain, ripped from when Callin cut it, my chest exposed and the angry red slash practically glistening in the sunlight. The button on my pants was still undone, but I couldn't reach my hands around to fix it.

So I just kept walking. I followed the moon, barely visible in the morning sky, hoping it would lead me home. Praying I was going in the right direction.

"Who are you?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin, fear coursing adrenaline through me that left me feeling even more cold, my skin captured by goosebumps. The suddenness of it all caused me to trip, falling onto my ass. My hands were barely able to catch my fall but it left them feeling more sore, pain pulsing through to my finger tips.

Can't I get a fucking break? Fucks sake.

Shaking the pain from my head, I looked up to find the source of the voice, my eyes landing on a woman in front of me.

She looked harmless enough, especially with that big belly of hers, but the thought did nothing to calm my racing heart, the adrenaline keeping me on edge.

I'd been fooled by a gentle face before.

Her doe eyes held my attention though and her very pregnant appearance made me want to let my guard down, despite myself. The dress she wore was very simple, old fashioned even, the brown fabric contrasting with the white apron wrapped around her waist, a large pocket in the front.

"Who are you?" She asked again, taking a step closer, her short light brown hair falling into her face.

I tried not to be afraid, but I was in no position to fight anymore. My wrists have been rubbed entirely raw by the rope binding them behind my back. The cuts along my cheek and chest still burned angrily against the cool air. And forgive me if I'm just a tad weary of random people wondering around the woods, especially after everything that's happened in the last 24 hours.

"I'm Vanessa. I have a small pack; the Alpha is my mate. You look like you could use some help." Her voice grew softer and sweeter than it already was, her hands out in front of her showing in surrender as she slowly moved towards me.

She held out her hands for me and I held my breath. She just smiled softly at me, a look of patience in her brown eyes as she stood, waiting for me to take her hand.

Taking in a big gulp of air, I slowly stood, pushing myself up off the ground. Watching me expectantly, the smile never left her face. I tried swallowing the nerves in my stomach, the thoughts of how she could be with Callin and Jewel and this could all just be some elaborate trap to capture me again.

Taking a deep breath to silence the raging thoughts, I turned to face her. She let her hands drop, stuffing them into the front pocket of her apron.

"Now, how would you like those ropes taken off and a full belly?" She beamed at me, offering me a kind smile, her brown eyes shining in the sunlight as she pulled a folded knife from her pocket.

I sucked a breath in and took a small step back.

She laughed lightly,

"For the rope?" She offered another small smile, her gaze fixated on my features, no hint of malice on her face.