I Didn't Mean To

'Don't think I don't know this assignment scares the hell out of you, you mole.'

Those words resonated in Todd's head as he tried to write a poem of his own. He slouched on his bed with his notebook while scribbling nonsense. He pondered on what he should write about, what made him happy, what inspired him?

'Y/n,' he thought to himself as she thought of a girl who was way out of his league.

A slight smile grew on Todd's face.

She was the most beautiful girl in the school, actually, she was the only girl in the school, and Todd was heavily in love with her. He grabbed his pencil and began to jot down ideas;

Leaves discarded from brittle tress
Abandoning me with a crisp breeze
Melt away my icy disguise
Leaving only transparent skies.
It would be pure bliss
If you would grant me one kiss.

He paused for a moment before he wrote the next line.

He knew it was a ridiculous poem but it's how he felt towards Y/n, just then the door sprung open.

"Hey, I thought we were studying with Y/n, what are you still doing here?" Neil asked as he approached Todd who was still sitting on his bed.

"I-I'll be right there," Todd then frantically began to cover his book page.

"Whoa what that?" Neil asked mischievously as he moved toward a tense Todd.

"Nothing!" Todd said guiltily.

"What are you hiding?" Neil persisted with a smile. Just then he shot his arm down and grabbed Neil's notebook.

"Neil!" Todd shouted as he sprang up from, "give it back!"

Seeing that Todd wanted it back so badly, Neil took off with it while jumping onto his bed. "A poem? By Todd Anderson?!" He joked. "Leaves discarded from brittle trees abandoning me with a crisp breeze," Neil read out loud as Todd chased him.

"Give it here!" Todd said as he chased his friend onto the beds.

"Melt away my melty disguise, leaving only transparent skies- is that an analogy?" Todd questioned. By this time all boys heard the racket coming from Neil and Todd's room.

"Hey what's going on here?" Meeks asked as he adjusted his glasses.

"Todd's hiding something!" Neil yelled as Todd continued to chase him around.

"Porn?!" Charlie asked excitingly as he popped his head out, "let's see!"

"No poetry!" It would be pure bliss if you would grant me one kiss?! Who is this for? Y/N?!" Neil declared cracking the not-so-difficult case.

"Neil!" Todd said as he felt his face grow red hot, "give it."

"Someones got a puppy love," Knox said as he watched the boys chase one another.

"What's going on?" Y/n said as she appeared in the doorway with a spark within her smile.

'Crap!' Todd stopped in complete fear, he didn't want the others to spill his secret

Todd then hid the book behind his back so Y/n couldn't see. "Nothing just goofing around!" He lied on Todd's behalf.

"What?" Charlie said not understanding the dilemma, "I thought it was about porn-"

"HA!" Pitts said as he slapped his friend's mouth shut with his hand, "he's so funny this one!" He said as he looked down at Y/n.

"Okay," Y/n said raising an eyebrow. "Well, I thought we were going to go study?" She asked looking at the reckless boys.

"I'm yay we're coming," Neil said as he stay behind with Todd. The gang left with Y/n leaving Neil alone with Todd.

"Hey, you know that I didn't mean anything by it," Neil apologized as he handed Todd back his notebook.

"I know," Todd said as he grabbed his book back, "it was a stupid poem anyways." But before Neil could say anything Todd tore out the page of his book and threw it in the trash can. "Come on let's get going," he said miserably as he gathered his books.

"Ya," Neil said as he thought of a plan, "I've just got to get something from my desk." When Todd wasn't looking Neil slipped the poem in one of his textbooks. "Okay come on let's go," he said trying to look conspicuous.

Once they met up with the others Neil made sure that Todd sat next to Y/n, shyly Todd settled next to the girl who he had a crush on.

Neil took out the poem and wrote something on a sticky note. He then place the sticky note in the poem and passed it down to Charlie, who passed it down to Knox, who passed it down to Todd who passed it down to Y/n.

Confused Y/n slowly opened the piece of paper that was handed down to her unattentively.

She first examined the sticky note that said; This is from Todd it's a poem about you! Read it to him in a low voice so nobody else can hear!

Y/n looked at Todd from the corner of her eye she then began to read the poem quietly.

"It would be pure bliss If you would grant me one kiss?" Y/n whispered to Todd

Todd's head quickly sprang around as he felt his heart sank. "Where did you hear that?" He asked nervously.

Y/n then picked up her notebooks and took Todd's hand. "Come here," she whispered as she took him behind the bookshelf.

"Who gave that to you?" Todd asked as he stood behind the bookshelf excluded from everyone else except Y/n.

"You did just now," she said with a slight grin.

Todd was placing the pieces of the puzzle in his mind. "Y/n I didn't mean to-"

"Did you write that for me?" She asked cutting him off.

It took everything in Todd's power to respond, "yeah," he said embarrassing as he lowered his head.

Y/n then opened her notebook to reveal her poem titled; Todd Anderson. "I- eh, wrote one about you too," she said in the same tone of shyness. "I wasn't going to share it with the class I just wrote how I feel."

Todd skimmed the lines, "this is a love poem?" He said looking up at her.

"I know," she said giggling as she slowly closed the book out of shyness.

Todd stood there confused for a moment, just then Y/n placed a peck onto Todd's cheek. His eyes lit up as he looked at her stunned. She then slowly pulled got closer for a second kiss, this one on his lips. It was the perfect first kiss for both of them.

"Well," Y/n said she pulled away slowly, "we should get back to the others."

"Y-yeah," Todd said entirely starstruck.

Little did they know the gang saw everything from in between the books on the bookshelf. Once they saw Todd and Y/n coming back to the table they fled back as if nothing had happened.

Y/n and Todd both took their seats with red blushing faces, once they sat together they held hands under the table and exchanged glances of fondness. The gang pretended not to notice as they continued their work. But at that moment Y/n and Todd fell deep in love with each other.