35

"You flung that thing like a Hot Wheel!"

They met a few feet away from the escalators, both groups too excited to just stay in place. Dustin was the first to bridge the gap. He crashed into Mike who was supporting El, hugging them like his life depended on it.

"Lucas?" Erica cried out incredulous, to Matteo's left.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, equally angry and confused.

"Ask them" Erica ratted them out immediately, pointing a thumb at Matteo, Robin and Steve. "It's their fault"

"True, yeah," Steve grinned, "Totally true. It's absolutely our fault"

"Well..." Matteo narrowed his eyes, "Like 50% of it was our fault"

"More like a 100%" Erica corrected.

She looked dangerous so Matteo did not argue. He felt a bit out of place, everyone seemed to know each other, even Steve and Jonathan which was a weird combination. He inched closer to Robin. This had been a truly wild fucking week.

"I don't understand what happened to that car" Robin spoke up, looking back at the car.

"El has superpowers" Matteo and Dustin said at the same time, without missing a beat.

When she raised her eyebrows, Matteo shrugged, "Told you, you wouldn't believe me"

"Magical dimensions and monsters" Robin whispered in awe, catching up to everything.

"That's El?" Erica spoke up again, a little rudely pointing at the girl so Matteo pushed down her hand.

"Vanilla with rainbow sprinkles" he scrunched his nose, "Basic"

"I'm sorry" Nancy cut in. Honestly, the conversation was starting to give Matteo a headache, everything was so confusing. "Who are you two?"

"Come on!" Matteo rolled his eyes, "We had Mr. Francis for English?"

"You're the one who kept bringing up Oscar Wilde" The girl snapped her fingers.

"Matteo" he gave a polite smile, "And Robin"

"We work with Steve" Robin pointed to her Scoops Ahoy uniform which Matteo wasn't wearing so he just gave her a thumbs up. He was glad that she at least remembered him.

"They cracked the top secret code"

"Yeah, which is how we found out about the Russians" Steve explained. Everyone was rushing, everything was happening so fast, Matteo was having trouble keeping track of all of it.

"Russians?" Jonathan gaped, "Wait, what Russians?"

"The Russians!"

"Those were Russians?" Max spoke up, incredulously gesturing to the dead men. Her red hair was in two braids which made her look less dangerous than usual.

"Wait since when are you in all of this?" Matteo scrunched his nose, "Does Billy know?"

"Billy is a monster"

"Knew that" Matteo shrugged.

"No, I mean-"

"I'm sorry" Lucas cut in, "Max, how do you know this guy?"

"Found him beaten up once, he was crying like a baby" she folded her arms across her chest. She was like half a foot shorter than him, but still managed to look like she was looking down at him.

Matteo scoffed, "Crying... is an exaggeration"

"Oh he was wailing—"

"Okay, can we get back to the Russians?" Nancy followed their exchange.