Chapter 15 - Tickets

Once the lunch had been paid for, you and Sherlock made your way down the street. Having a friend to go to lunch, talk nonsense, and walk in the chilly air with was a nice change of pace.

Each step taken was another one surveyed by two figures. Both with a baseball cap and sunglasses, non-designer items never seemed to suit Jim. "Boss, I really don't think this is a good idea,"

"Good idea or not, Y/n is my friend, and that means I dictate what is good or not good for her," he says nonchalantly.

"That's not-" Seb cut himself off, "sir, I think this is a breach of Y/n's privacy,"

"Don't be ridiculous; she'll thank me later," he waves Sebastian's concerns away, watching Sherlock stop in front of the cafe and wrap his scarf around your neck. In an instant, Jim snapped the binoculars in half, causing a few who passed by to stare. "Oh, move along. Have you never seen someone spy on someone before??"

"Thank you, Sherlock," you look up at him, fitting the scarf around yourself better. "You know, blue really is your colour," Noting this, you continue down the road by his side.

Sherlock looked at you like a happy puppy, unable to stop his smile. "So, the case today, what did you think?"

"I think you want to talk about it," you muse, nudging him a little. "It's like the others, isn't it?"

"It is, and there's no way we'd get any leads from it... however, I have a feeling we need to start taking some sort of action. Yes, these are horrible people, trust me I know, but murder isn't exactly the answer,"

"Maybe murder was the only option," you mumble, making him do a double take, "well, see it like this: what if Moriarty and Thorn have tried to get these people to change their minds, but they refuse,"

"Maybe, but it's still illegal," he reasons, "Regardless, I care more about finding out who Thorn is than arresting him,"

"So, how do we find out who Thorn really is?" you ask, standing at the door of 221B.

"We find the next party being targetted," he holds up two invitations to a charity gala hosted by one of the few people you knew Jim had his eyes on. "Plus, you've always said you wanted to go to a fancy party with friends,"

It was true, but while you attended these constantly, you always wanted one night where your skills weren't needed. A night where you could relax without the constant paranoia of someone watching being at the back of your mind.

However, this was one of London's biggest events of the year, which made it so much better. "Holy shit, Sherlock, how did you get these??" You take them from him, "what about John?"

"Oh, I gave him his ticket a while ago. Just thought you'd be a good addition," he stuffs his hands in his pockets, "so?"

"Yes! A million damn times, yes, are you kidding me??" You wrap your arms around his neck, pulling him in for a hug. "Thank you, thank you!" letting go, you kiss his cheek before running into the building with his hand in yours.

Jim stood across the street with a frown. He'd never seen you so happy. So excited and so... content? With life itself. You were always happy around him, but never to this extent.

"Sebastian?" He mumbles his friend's name, "Am I... a good friend? To Y/n, at least?" he asks, for once unsure of himself.

"You are, boss," Seb places a hand on Jim's shoulder, "and yes, this isn't exactly ideal to you, but Y/n is an adult and sure as hell can handle herself, so how about you consider toning down your... protectiveness?"

For now, Jim was fully against this situation, but he couldn't deny you happiness. It would tear him apart to see you upset, let alone upset at his actions, which prevented that happiness.

"Do you think you'll be replaced, boss?" Seb asks.

"Okay, you're my employee, not my therapist," Moriarty walks towards the car.

"Worth a try," he sighs.

~~~

Days passed, and Jim had asked you to come over for lunch, not business for once, which had you confused. His house was always your favourite place to go, other than Sherlock's now. It was grand, but it had its key features, which really made it a home.

The library was by far your favourite place to stay. The ceiling-high glass doors led to a balcony where a table and chairs were situated just perfectly to view the garden. What better place to converse over some lunch than there?

"Hey, Jim," you walk up to your friend, who smiles gently, though from the way his lips twitched, you could tell something was bothering him. "What's the occasion?"

"Lunch," he shrugs, "Seb wanted to try a new recipe, so I decided you need to suffer with me," he holds his arm out for you.

"Very funny," you take it with delight, "but seriously, we only ever do this on big occasions,"

"How about we have something to eat? Then I'll let you know," he said, looking over his shoulder at Seb, who wore a pink apron. Thumbs up were sent his way, and Sebastian soon returned to his cooking.

"I'm absolutely starving, so yes, please," feeling the fresh breeze flow into the library, your excitement peaked at the sight of tea ready. "Thank you for this, the gallery has been an absolute chore,"

He pulls a chair out for you before pouring you both some tea. "But the exhibition is coming together?"

"Just a few final touches and opening is this weekend," you smile, "you will be able to go, right?"

"What about Holmes and that lot?" He sips gently.

"Shit..." you sigh, "I'm sure you can make it as an excuse to talk to Sherlock," you suggest, taking a biscuit happily.

"Speaking of Holmes," he finally places his cup down, "I heard you're going to the charity gala with him." Jim's mouth twitches again, which lets it all fall into place.

"Shit, do you need me to"

He holds his hand up, shaking his head, "No, no," he fixes his posture, "you're your person, and that means I can't expect you always to be ready to take a job," he looks to Sebastian, who was approaching with food. "So, while I will be there, I want you to enjoy yourself,"

"What's this about Jim? You're being weirdly sentimental," taking a plate from Seb, the smell of food hit your rumbling stomach instantly.

"I've realised you've become... friends with Sherlock and his lot, and while I don't trust him to any extent, you seem happier than ever," he clenches and relaxes his fist, "and I just want to say sorry, about the argument we had and I how I acted towards you,"

Blinking a few times, you stare in disbelief, "Seb, who is this? Where's Jim?" You whisper.

"Alright, that's enough," Jim sighs, running a hand over his face while you laugh. You stand up and hug him from behind, causing him to jolt in surprise.

"Thank you, James, seriously," you give him a good squeeze before sitting back down. "Now, let's eat!"

Moriarty sighs in relief, looking at a proud Sebastian. Both men nod to each other, Jim continuing the conversation you had prompted after your first bite.

~~~

Soft Jim is kinda slay

- Anna ❤️