Chapter 37

"Who? Who is it?" Mindy screamed.

"Mindy! I don't have too much time to explain." Lexi's heart continued to beat fast. She had seen the animation and while she didn't know exactly how the pieces connected, she knew exactly who was involved. "I need your help! Can you please go get my parents and bring them to the Dean's office?" Tom was definitely on to something when he told her his gut feeling.

"Oh, my God! It's the Dean?"

"I think he might have something to do with it, yes."

"Oh God, this is nuts!"

"I know, and Mindy," Lexi paused and took a deep breath in, "bring Charlotte with you."

Before Mindy could let out another word, Lexi sprinted out and left her best friend frozen in the doorway. She held on tightly to her laptop as she hurried to the Administration building.

Tom was standing outside looking slightly less disheveled from when she left him. When his gaze landed on her, he gave her a questioning look before his eyes grew wide. "You solved it, didn't you?"

Lexi nodded frantically and tried to catch her breath. "We...solved...it, Tom!" She put her hands on her knees and was willing not to throw up.

"Breathe, Lexi. Breathe!" Tom placed a hand on her shoulder, but still couldn't contain the smile despite the concern for her well-being.

"Tom! We freaking did it!"

"Thank God! I quit Black Sphere before they could even fire me. I was praying you'd come with good news! Who the hell is it? I'm dying to know!"

"Come follow me." Lexi led Tom through the grand halls of the Administration building. They passed by Wes who was walking down from the Dean's floor. He waved patronizingly, but Lexi simply smiled in return. She no longer needed to be on this campus, but Wes didn't need to know that.

They walked by the Dean's secretary's desk, which was void of anyone seated before it. Lexi took a deep breath and opened the door to find the Dean, and a woman who was likely his secretary chatting. Lexi had only spoken to Dean Kovsky once before and the brief encounter wasn't enough to tell her everything. Yet, it was something else that night of the Dean's dinner that she should've remembered sooner.

"Dean Kovsky, you wanted to see us?" Lexi asked innocently.

The Dean stood up from his seat and glanced between his secretary, Lexi, and Tom. "Now, that's interesting. I just told Alana here that I wanted to see you both in my office immediately. How could you have known that?"

Lexi shrugged and took her seat in front of the Dean's desk. She motioned for Tom to do the same. He had an amused expression on his face, and she knew he was curious as to where she was going with this.

"You could say it was just intuition." Lexi's heart was pounding in her chest as she took in the man in front of her. He wore a nice, tailored suit and his teeth were strikingly white. Oh God, what is my plan here? Lexi stood up straighter and took a deep breath in. You got this, Lex! You can do this!

"It has come to my attention that a very serious accusation has been made regarding the two of you." Dean Kovsky glanced at Tom. "Professor Miller, care to confirm or deny the allegation?"

"I-" Tom started but was quickly cut off by Lexi.

"And it has come to our attention, Dean Kovsky, that a very serious accusation has been made regarding you, and another student by the name of Charlotte Coral. Care to confirm or deny the allegation?"

Lexi could've sworn she saw the Dean's eyes widen a fraction. She knew Tom was shocked but didn't take her eyes off of the man she believed to be involved in the ransomware case. He shifted in his seat before giving Lexi a puzzled look. "Excuse me, Miss Foster. I'll be the one doing the questioning here."