Chapter 30

Lexi spent the rest of the day at Mindy's apartment, discussing plans for how they would get the evidence that Tom was the hacker. At first, they started with an elaborate scheme that involved fireworks. But when they both realized they didn't know how to set off fireworks or even where to buy them, they decided to just stick with a simple breaking and entering.

An agenda item on the Break Into Tom's Home Plan was retrieving Lexi's cell. She texted her parents from Mindy's phone letting them know she was going to spend the day with Mindy and would connect with them later that night, hoping that would stave them off for just a little longer. It seemed to work based on Scarlett's long, loving response coupled with about a thousand heart emojis.

As the sun set, Lexi's jitters gained momentum, being fed by thoughts of nearing Tom again. Given everything that happened yesterday, there was a very real possibility that he would be home. Yet, with their plan in place, Lexi would have just enough time to grab her phone, Tom's laptop, and anything else she could find while he was led to their distraction.

With a ladder shoved in between their seats, Mindy parked about a block away from his house. "Are you ready to party?"

Lexi had thought she would be okay, but she was trying hard not to start hyperventilating. Being back in Tom's neighborhood did bring back everything she had felt yesterday to the forefront.

"Girl, we don't have to do this if you're not ready. We can loop in your family to help," Mindy said with concern etched across her features.

Lexi shook her head and took in a deep breath. "No. We're here. Let's just get it over with." She squeezed her eyes tight for a moment before twisting in her seat to face Mindy. "Okay, let's go over the plan again. First, I'll sneak around to the side window. It wasn't locked yesterday when I opened it, so I doubt it'll be locked again. But if it is, we'll have to move to plan B."

Mindy nodded. "Okay, then I'll wait for your signal on the walkie-talkie." She held up the device before continuing. "Once I get the all clear, I'll start toilet papering his front lawn." Mindy grabbed the pack of toilet paper that was behind the driver's seat. "Once I'm done with that, I'll ring the doorbell and go hide in the bushes. And then when I see Tommy Boy come outside, I'll signal to you that it's okay to go inside."

"And then I'll have about five minutes as he cleans up the lawn to open the window, grab the things, and then get out of there."

"We got this!" Mindy said excitedly.

"We got this," Lexi repeated, trying to manifest their success. Mindy was moving to open her door, and Lexi's heart rate spiked. "Wait, but want to say a quick prayer first?"

Mindy nodded and the girls clasped hands over the ladder that was resting on the center console. "God, we pray that you be with us tonight, keep us safe, and help us steal the right things." The girls busted out laughing at the last line. "Okay, actually sorry that we're going to steal. Please forgive us, but also please help us. We love you. Amen."

"Amen!" Lexi said and the weight that was crushing down on her seemed to lift slightly. She was grateful that Mindy was doing this with her. And was even more thankful that they were able to talk everything through earlier that day.

"Alright! Let's do this thing!" Mindy hopped out of the car and Lexi followed. She grabbed the ladder that extended to seven feet. The girls had oiled it up earlier so that when it came time to use it, Lexi could be as quiet as possible. They walked slowly through the neighborhood in their all-black attire, careful not to draw too much attention from the few people that were out walking their dogs. Street lamps and house lights illuminated their surroundings and with each step they took toward Tom's house, Lexi's pulse increased its speed.