Chapter 1

"I can't believe our baby is all grown up!"

"Dad, stop!" Lexi swept her long, straightened, dark brown hair to the side and adjusted the collar of her new pink summer dress. The lines of gray, black, and other earth tones in her closet would likely expel the garment as soon as it made its way in later.

"Sweetie, how are you feeling? Are you sure you're ready? You know we would never push you into something you're not comfortable with." Lexi's mom Scarlett turned to face her from the front passenger's seat. The car was nearing Sky Residences and the closer they got to the tower lit starkly against the night sky, the more Lexi's stomach churned.

"She's going to crack. I just know it!"

"Aww, thanks, Cole. I must say giving up your Saturday night to sit in a car waiting for your little sister is definitely not loser status. I'm sure your friends would be so jealous." Lexi smiled playfully toward her older brother at the other passenger window.

"What can I say? I don't want to miss all the drama!" Cole smirked and Lexi smacked his arm. "Hey! That's very mature, Lex. Did you just turn twenty-one or twelve?"

Lexi rolled her eyes and turned to Scarlett. "Mom, to answer your question, I'm good. I'm excited, but also just want to get it over with." She turned back to face the window, hoping the passing pristine sidewalks and manicured lawns would give her some sense of ease with what she was about to do. Taking in a deep breath, she reached behind her neck to undo and retie the strands of her black string bikini and adjusted it underneath her dress.

"Who would've thought La Cienega would be quicker than Fairfax? These streets tonight make no sense." Her dad Jason, who seemed to believe he was smarter than Google Maps, pulled over to the curb about a block from the apartment building and turned to face her. "Do you have everything you need, Lex?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Camera?"

"Yes."

"Cell phone?"

"Yes, I have everything. We went over all this back at the house."

"Okay just making sure, hun." Jason beamed back at her with his round eyes and bared his pearly whites. He still looked young for his age despite his salt-and-pepper hair. "One last question, do you remember what to do if you get stuck?"

Lexi sucked in a breath, held it for about two seconds, and then released. "Send a text. And if I can't send a text, just come back to the car."

Jason continued to glow at his only daughter while Lexi wondered if she'd even make it to the rooftop. Scarlett reached out and clasped Lexi's hand. "Take all the time you need, Lex Bex." She paused and her glossy lips moved to the side before continuing. "But, not too long because we have church in the morning and need to go to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour."

"Mom, it's already almost midnight."

"Yes, and we all need our beauty sleep! Anyways, just remember to stick out the assets God has blessed us with as much as possible when talking to him." She placed her hand over the middle of her chest. "Oh, especially the chest area. Men love the chest area."

"Your mother does have a great chest area, so I can confirm this."

"Oh my God!" and something to the effect of "My ears are bleeding," were spoken over each other by Lexi and Cole.

"Okay kids, settle down. Sex between your father and I is a beautiful, natural, and wonderful thing."

"Oh, my God! Please, please stop. You don't have to go there! Can I please go now?"