Chapter 36

"Um, uh..." Lexi was racking her brain for any word. Just a single word to say to Wes, who stood there with shock plastered on his expression. She knew how it looked, and saw the smeared lipstick on Tom's face that likely mirrored hers. Yet, that didn't stop both Tom and her from holding their hands up to their mouths.

How could we have been so reckless? We weren't even thinking! Now that they knew they weren't faculty and student anymore, it was as if every line drawn in the sand had been washed away and along with it, every sensible notion.

"Can I help you, Wes?" Tom asked while he rubbed his mouth with his palm.

"No, I saw all I needed to see, you filthy piece of shit." Wes was about to turn back toward the door but stopped when Lexi gasped.

"Hey! Don't call him that!" Lexi crossed her arms but then quickly unfurled them when she realized the fate of their jobs now rested on Wes. "Please, Wes! You can't tell anyone."

Wes scoffed. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm going to tell everyone. This man deserves to be put in jail. And as for you, Hannah, I didn't realize how much of a slut you were."

Tom's fists clenched and he was about to charge toward Wes, but Lexi was able to grab his arm in time. "Tom, don't! I'm not offended, it's okay!"

"It's not okay! He doesn't get to talk to you like that!" The look in Tom's eyes seemed as if he would murder Wes on the spot, yet it softened when his eyes met Lexi's. He quickly turned back to Wes. "Apologize to her, right now!"

Wes laughed. "Or what? You'll throw a punch? I think you're already in enough trouble as it is, Professor Miller. Right now, I think you should be asking me how you'll get me to keep my mouth shut." A smile crept over Wes' face. It was the same one that he used on Lexi when he was trying to get her to 'make it up to him' after she ghosted him at the party. And both times rolled discomfort through her body. She just didn't realize it the first time.

"What do you need us to do?" Lexi asked before she even registered the words that came out. A part of her was desperate not to have any more screw-ups. Her parents had just gotten on board with her and Tom being together and she felt as though they were on the cusp of solving the case. Getting kicked out of the university would only put another pin in the Lexi Screwed Up sign. And not to mention, Tom's real-life job would be thrown into jeopardy.

Tom raised his brows toward Lexi, likely wondering what she was doing. Honestly, Tom, same. Lexi curled her lips, waiting for Wes to respond. He drew his hand to his chin as if deep in thought and seemed to enjoy the silence that was spread between them.

Tom sighed. "What is it you want, Wes?"

"An automatic A in this class. I don't ever want to see your ugly ass face again."

Tom huffed, "Fine."

Oh, thank God, that's it! Yet, Lexi's stomach dropped when she heard the "And" leave Wes' lips.

"And...I want to touch Hannah's boobs."

"Fuck no!" Tom bellowed.

"Oh, my God, Wes! Are you serious?" Lexi shook her head in disbelief and quickly crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Of course, I'm serious! Have you seen your tits? How could I not ask for that?"

"You're disgusting!" Lexi spat out.

"So, I guess that's a no?"

"Wes, just get the hell out. Tell whoever the fuck you want." Tom's jaw clenched as he clasped Lexi's hand.

Wes stole a glance at the action and disgust lined his features. "Suit yourself. It's really a win-win for me since I'll never have to see you again when you get fired." He quickly turned around and stormed out of the classroom.