Grey Skies: Chapter 31

The chairs in the tiny waiting room were paired by an adjoining arm, leaving Sophie with the option of sitting beside Max or across the aisle from him. In the car, he'd been calm and relaxed, distracting her with tales from his childhood. Ever since walking into the hospital, though, he'd fallen silent. He sat ramrod straight on the green pleather seat and his jaw looked like it might shatter if he didn't loosen a muscle soon.

She eased herself into the spot beside him, careful not to get too close. As he had with her earlier, she tried to lighten the mood with a funny anecdote. "Last time I was in a hospital, Beth was giving birth. Her water broke in my restaurant. We barely made it there in time."

Max's knuckles gripped the armrest. "Last time I was in a hospital..."

Sophie's stomach dropped at her thoughtlessness. She placed a hand on his. "I didn't think. That must have been with Nat, I mean Bug, right?" He's chin dipped. "Maybe you should go."

His gaze snapped to hers. "You want me to leave?"

Dark brown eyes swam with a hurt before her. A surge of need to quell that anguish roiled in her chest. Her other hand joined the first, settling on his warm skin like the more she could touch him, the more she could erase the misconception that she wanted nothing but to have him here. "No. Only this could take a while."

Max jerked his head and stared at the exit. "I want to be here for Finn."

"I'm sure Finn appreciates the support."

"Mary and I are going to find some coffee." Simon and Mary stood hand in hand before them. "Do you want anything?"

"Coffee sounds great." Sophie shifted away from Max.

"I'll take one too." Max stuffed a hand into the pocket of his jeans.

Simon held up his palm. "We got this."

Max offered a small nod. "Thanks."

Alone in the waiting room, silence descended and Sophie stifled a yawn. The anxiety of the drive over and its accompanying adrenaline had ebbed away. A heaviness sat on her very bones and she leaned against the stiff chair back, promising to only close her eyes for a moment. "Where you at least having fun before I interrupted your camping trip?"

Max grunted. She cocked open one eye and regarded him. "Was Simon..."

"No." Max rubbed his eyebrow. "Simon was good. Supportive." Max shifted in his seat, his elbow brushing against hers. She jettisoned her arm out of the way. Perhaps to give her more space, Max swung an arm over the back of her chair. "We got into the alcohol and things got a little heated. Finn cracked, spilled some of what's been bothering him."

Sophie waited, expecting more. Max's lips remained pressed together, and she realized there would be nothing additional added to that statement. Once again, she admired Max's loyalty. "Did it help?"

Max shrugged. "Maybe."

Another yawn crept over her, and this time it took her over. Max glanced around the empty waiting room. He massaged the nape of her neck. "Try to catch some shuteye. I'll keep watch."

The circular movement of Max's fingers, combined with his gentle touch, eased her tense muscles. Sophie closed her eyes again, the back of her head resting against the wall. "Wake me up when Mary and Simon are back."

When she resurfaced from a light sleep, Sophie discovered Max's shoulder comprised a comfy temporary pillow. His arm kept her tucked into his side, his hand resting on her waist. Not wanting to move, she pretended to still be asleep and allowed the heat of Max's body to comfort her jagged nerves, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat as a lullaby. The waiting room was quiet. Mary sat again in Simon's lap, the couple seeming to doze themselves.