Grey Skies: Chapter 20

Sophie bit her lip as Max swung the sledgehammer for the last time, the tool smashing through the last block of cabinetry left in the kitchen. His biceps flexed and under his perspiration-soaked t-shirt, his shoulder and back muscles rippled in a way she had no idea could be so completely sexy. Even dusty and sweaty and wearing protective eyewear, the sight of him caused her insides to clench and her heart rate... okay, her libido to race.

After lunch, the three men had dived back into the demolition task. Although she was supposed to be planning a sample menu for Simon, she'd been torturing her central nervous system with the private showing of strength and agility.

Had she just found her new kink? Construction workers? Growing up in New York, they were a daily sight, but she'd never been turned on like she was now. Maybe it wasn't the setting so much as the man currently flanked by two taller, leaner men. Max turned and grinned, setting Sophie's heart into defibrillator territory.

"Done." Finn slapped Max on the back and high-fived his brother.

The look of calm surety on Finn had her chest tingling for a different reason. He wiped the back of his forearm across a sweaty brow and the frown lines normally etched there were nowhere to be seen. Instead, the corners of his mouth wrinkled in an easy smile.

If only Emily could see him now. Her friend was putting on a brave face in front of her husband, but the stress of Finn's discomfort was wearing on her tiny frame. Which was why Sophie had pushed Finn into coming to the vineyard today, despite not wanting to choose sides.

"Who needs a demo crew?" Simon beamed at his brother. "We should go into business together."

Finn's grin wavered as he reached for the closest smashed cabinet. "Let's get this junk into the dumpster."

"We can sweep up the rest into garbage bags." Simon picked up the other side of the cabinet and walked backwards toward the kitchen exit. "I think I saw some in the utility shed behind the barrel barn. Finn and I'll grab them."

Max scanned the empty kitchen where broken bits of wood scattered the floor while light from the two windows illuminated the now empty space.. "The place looks so big."

"Yeah." Sophie stepped up beside him, seeing the room from his perspective. Another flush of heat blazed across her chest as she inhaled his musky scent. How could he possibly smell so good? One of the biceps she'd been ogling all afternoon brushed against hers, like a cat rubbing against its owner to mark them as theirs. Against logic and reason, she leaned into the accidental touch, fusing their shoulders together.

"What will you do with the place?"

Sophie studied his profile, the strong jaw her fingers longed to trace. "The plans are in my office. Wanna see?"

His gaze met hers. The fire in his irises caused her breath to catch. The corner of his mouth lifted, and he gave her the barest of nods. Without thought she took his hand and dragged him across the room, pulled him into the small space she now thought of as her sanctuary and over to the desk where her laptop hummed, waiting to spill its secrets.

With her free hand, she brought the machine to life and searched for the files containing the blueprints she and Simon had agreed upon. Heat crept up her arm from where her palm pressed into his. Besides smelling delectable, the callouses from working with his hands were somehow turning her on.

"Here it is." She tilted the screen his way.

Max leaned in and squinted. "Um... not sure what I'm looking at."

"These,"—her finger outlined a blue square—"are the ovens. The heart of the kitchen." Max's hand pulsed in hers and Sophie held on tighter. "And here are the prep stations, where my staff, should I ever get any, will put the plates together before they go into the dining room to our patrons."