Grey Skies: Chapter 7

The aroma of freshly baked bread filled the lake house kitchen. Sophie sliced one of the fig brioche rolls in half, arranged on the plate beside the bowl of yogurt, and drizzled the honey over the creamy substance. She added a few orange slices for decoration and set the meal in front of Emily, who looked a little green around the gills this morning. "Kept things simple this morning."

"Shouldn't she be over this by now?" Mary's hand flew to her stomach, her face pale, almost as if in solidarity with her sister. "I thought morning sickness only happened in the first trimester."

"For most people. Apparently, I'm not one of the lucky ones." Emily picked up a spoon and sighed. "Except for the fact my best friend has moved in to cook for me."

"Finn was very convincing." Like she'd promised, Sophie had spent a weekend at the lake house after her trip to New York. When Emily and Finn learned about the restaurant closing, Finn had surprised her with a proposal. Rent out her apartment for a few months and come live in Bridgetown for the winter. Prepare meals for Emily, who was suffering from a case of hyperemesis gravidarum because of the pregnancy. The extreme case of morning sickness meant she had trouble keeping down food. Emily's appetite was returning, if slowly, but he'd pleaded with Sophie to stay and help ensure her friend got the nutrients she needed.

He needn't have bothered. Sophie would have dropped everything and come, even if she still had her job. Which she didn't. Finn's offer was the reprieve she needed. Staying at the lake house gave her time. The solution gave her a temporary excuse to stave off her parent's plea to move back to New York and take over the family restaurant. She couldn't stay in Bridgetown forever. Besides, this country life wasn't for her. At some point, she'd have to decide between giving up on her dream to become a chef and returning to the safety of where she'd grown up.

"It's that baritone commander voice he uses." Mary dipped a spoon into Emily's dish and scooped up some of the yogurt.

Emily nudged her sister's hand out of the way. "I like his voice."

"Don't I know it." Silence fell over the kitchen and Mary pressed her lips together. No one said anything but Mary's past deeds, her interference in Emily and Finn's romance hung in the air like a dark cloud. The sisters had come to a truce, and even Finn, who hadn't been able to even look at Mary at the wedding, seemed to tolerate her hanging around the house.

"What does Mary know now?" Finn's running shoes squeaked on the polished tile floors.

Mary's eyes flew to her sister with a pleading don't say anything. Emily patted Mary's wrist like a grandmother might a young child who just spilt a jug of milk. "How amazing it is to be in love with a Wainwright brother."

Finn huffed, poured a glass of water from the jug on the table, and guzzled half of it. Emily studied her husband as he drank, eyes roaming over the sweat stains on his hoodie. Despite the chill in the air, he'd left the house at the crack of dawn and run for over two hours every day for this last week. The half-full glass landed on the counter and Finn kissed the top of her head. "What are we eating this morning?"

"Sophie made fruit rolls." Emily offered her husband a bite. He dutifully bent down and accepted her offer. "Do you like it?"

"More to the point, do you?" His ocean-coloured eyes met hers and he traced her cheek. Happiness fizzed in Sophie's chest at the colour returning to Emily's face, faster than any dish she'd created.

"I like everything Sophie creates." Once again, Sophie was reminded that, unlike her father, Philip Montgomery, Emily would have made a skilled politician.

Finn met Sophie's gaze and the tight lines around his eyes relaxed a smidge. "We're fortunate to have Sophie in our lives."

The fizziness flattened at the weariness in his features. "Happy to help." Before her stood a man significantly changed since the summer. Despite the copious amounts of exercise, his already lean frame seemed stringier, his face more drawn. While she created dishes with Emily in mind, she'd tried to infuse the meals with protein and vitamins to feed Finn's tall frame. Bring back the healthy man that seemed to be slipping away. "Can I make you some eggs?"

"Thanks, but no." He raised the glass in front of his lips like a shield. "I'll grab something after I shower."

"I made plenty of rolls." She knew not to push things. Finn was nothing if he was not stubborn. In this trait, he and his wife were alike. Emily might be more polished and quiet in her methods, but like her husband, once she made up her mind, there wasn't much chance of changing it.

Emily thread her fingers with her husband. "We're headed over to Dad's today. And Sophie wants to hit one of the markets while we're there. Care to join?"

"Can't he come here?" His gaze swept to Mary as if for back up then back to Emily. "Washington is a long drive." Finn had the over-protective father-to-be attitude locked in. Sophie got the impression he'd wrap his wife in bubble wrap for the next three months if he could get away with it.

"I'm driving." Mary straightened her back and, in a rare stance, looked directly at Finn. "She can sleep in the passenger's seat." His mouth formed a thin line and Sophie prepared to interject, but Mary held his gaze. "I promise I'll take care of her."

Finn's shoulders inched lower. "In that case, I think I'll pass." Sophie's stomach muscles relaxed. "Have fun with your dad." He stepped away. "I'll go clean up." Backing out of the kitchen, he said, "Find me before you leave."

Silence hung in the air again. Mary was the first to break it. "He still not sleeping?"

Emily's gaze fell to the bowl before her. "He tries. Lies in bed with me until I drift off. But he's gone in the morning before I wake up. Whenever I get up in the middle of the night, he's always awake." Her fingers gripped the spoon. "He won't talk to me."

Mary folded her arms and sat back in her chair. "Simon tried to broach the subject last week, suggested he help at the winery, do something with all this free time." Her hand flew around the spacious kitchen. "Finn shot him down. Simon wants the vineyard to be a family business. Now he's convinced Finn is ignoring him."

"I don't think a desk job is for Finn." Emily stirred her yogurt. "He needs..."

"A mission?" Sophie offered. Emily had been relieved when Finn left the Navy shortly after they'd reconnected. Sophie had as well. She couldn't imagine worrying about the man she loved away for months at a time and living with the constant fear of him being in harm's way. "For eight years Finn's days were filled with purpose. He had orders to follow." The three women sighed in unison.

A sadness Sophie hated to see filled Emily's face. "Something has to change."

"Is there anyone he might talk to?" Sophie slid into the seat beside Emily.

"There is someone." Her voice lowered. "Thus, the road trip. We're not really going to Dad's today."

"Ooh, a covert mission, Mrs. Wainwright?" Sophie sang the words to lighten the mood.

Emily's eyes met hers. "My most important one yet."

"Who knew you were into this cloak and dagger stuff?" Sophie leaned in. "I'm in. Where are we going?"

Before Emily could say, Mary interjected. "It's a surprise."

Hey there

Hey there. DL here. Well, it looks like Mary is back on the scheming train. Will she ever learn? Probably not. But at least she means well. 

Any guesses on who Emily has in mind to talk to Finn? Perhaps an old Navy buddy?