2. Back home

Aarushi

One week passed in a blink and I am back in Mumbai to give my final exams. I got off the flight and took a cab to my hostel. I took a quick shower and started revising the first exam syllabus once again as I have my exam in less than 10 hours. I did my preparation and managed to sleep for 5 hours before my alarm went off. I got ready and checked all my necessities for the exam then walked out.

I gave my exam and came to my room and started my preparation again after having my lunch

I gave my exam and came to my room and started my preparation again after having my lunch. This continued for a few days and finally, my exams got over. All my classmates went shopping with their gangs and I came back to my room as I don't have any gang. All are friendly to me but not close. They talk to me when we meet but never go out with me. And I understand them. We are different. I started packing my luggage as my mom ordered me to come back tomorrow. 

Once I am done with my packing I called Kabir bhai and asked him to add Shikar bhai to the conference. We three talked for a while but Shikar bhai hung up saying someone came to meet him. I and Kabir bhai talked for a while and then he too hung up. 

I went to my bed and slept hugging my teddy bear which my brothers bought for my birthday with their pocket money. I always carried it with me.

The next morning I woke up with the sound of my alarm and did my chores. My flight was scheduled for 3 p.m. so I went to marine drive to spend some time. In the past 5 years, I always came here whenever I felt lost or sad. I don't know why but this place manages to relax me.

I went to the hostel, had my lunch, and dragged my bags to the lobby. I handed over the keys to Warden Aunty and took a cab to the airport. I will come back here again on my graduation day.

I boarded my flight to Jodhpur and started reading a random magazine to kill time. The flight landed and I walked out of the airport to see Shikar bhai waiting for me. I waved at him and he walked to me. 

He took the luggage and loaded it in the trunk after we shared a hug and we drove off to home. We reached home and it was empty.

"Where are others?" I asked Bhai scanning the empty house.

"Kabir didn't return from office yet, Papa is at the palace, and Mumma and Dadi went to some naming ceremony with Latha Aunty (neighbor)." He said dropping himself on the sofa. He had a long day in the hospital. His dark circles and that messed hair is clearly explaining it. I walked to the kitchen and poured two glasses of water for both of us and gave one to Bhai and sat next to him. 

"When are we going to Mumbai for your graduation?" He asked placing the glass on the table after having his water.

"Next month bhai! The date is not yet fixed." I said shrugging my shoulders. He hummed in response.

"Let us take some rest while home is peaceful." He said getting up and I too got up giggling. We both marched to our respective rooms and I dozed off as soon as my body touched the mattress.

The next time I woke up was when I heard my mother yelling at me for god knows what reason. I got up nevertheless and walked down to see my mother and grandmother shooting daggers at me.

"Is it time to sleep? How many times did I say that you should not sleep in the evenings?" My mother's angry voice boomed in my ears.

"Maa, I was tired! Besides Bhai is sleeping too. Why are you scolding only me?" I asked pouting. 

"Because he is a doctor and he didn't sleep yesterday." My grandmother replied. 

"I had exams too. Even I didn't sleep properly for days!" I reasoned making sure my pitch was low.

"Who asked you to study all night for that stupid course?" My mother threw a tantrum which made my eyes tear up. But I didn't let the tears come out in front of them and walked back to my room after mumbling a 'sorry' to them. 

Tears started flowing down as soon as I closed my door and I sat down at the door crying for god knows how much time. I got up once I was done crying, washed my face, and tied up my hair in a messy bun.

I started arranging my clothes in my closet. By the time I completed my work, it was almost dinner time and I went to the dining hall. Papa came back from Palace and Kabir Bhai is here too. I took my usual place which is between my brothers and started having my dinner silently. After we were done having dinner papa offered to take us to have ice cream like in old times. 

I ordered my favorite choco chips and both my brothers ordered butterscotch. We had hardly eaten 3 scoops when my dad's phone went off and I knew what he was going to say next.

"Children, you people go home safely. I have to go to Palace!" He said and walked out. 

'Like old times.' I muttered to myself.

Most of the time we came out Papa always left us in the middle. It was always my brothers who used to take me back home. I decided not to spoil my mood and spent my time with my brothers having fun.

We three returned home and my brothers wished me goodnight kissing my forehead and went to their rooms to sleep. 

I changed into my nightwear, but sleep was far away from me. I got up and took out my drawing book and started drawing whatever came to my mind. When I was drawing, my thoughts drifted to that man whom I admire. Avyaan Singh Rathore, the King. I used to meet him a few times a week when we were kids. But as we grew up his grandmother started training him for the royal duties that made his visits to my place limited. That made us distant but I always admired him. He is someone I feel motivated by. It's been a long time since I last saw him. He was 17 and I was 14 when we the last time. After that, I have never seen him. Because I started falling for the man who could never be in my destiny and although I avoid seeing and meeting him, I always keep track of his great achievements. I didn't even see his photo to date after that day.

It was 1 am when I finally decided to sleep and this time I was actually able to sleep. His thoughts always make me feel positive and make me feel at ease. 

What spell did you cast on me Ranaji?