They're Adapting

"You take the point," the radio said, and I swung my gun around, scanning for targets.

There were two slow ones tailing the point man.

Boom! Went my rifle. I adjusted the scope and focused on the next one. In the meantime, the crackle of gunfire rang through the air. Good. I tracked my target through the scope.

Just as I was about to shoot, it ran. The supersonic bullet roared past its ear as I took cover in the shade near the pipes.

Fuck, they're adapting, I cursed to myself. Again.

I was prepared for them, at first. The slow ones, at least. However strong or durable they were in person, at the end of the day, a gun was a gun, and I had no qualms shooting them in the head to stop them. Then they started to take cover, but the distance still saved me. Then they started running, but their speed was still human and predictable. But this one! This one was different. This one knew to throw me off.

What about the rest of the team?, I thought.

"Shit! Man down! Man down! Keep up the cover fire while we push through!", buzzed the radio. Well at least they kept their wits about them.

I quickly scanned around again. A chill ran through my spine as I quickly grabbed my rifle and aimed through the scope, a loud report ringing through the air, followed by a thud.

They're climbing, now!, I bit my lips.

I adjusted the scope and pointed to another one. Then I paused. It was the same one that dodged my shot just awhile ago.

They're not just adapting... They're... learning.

The radio buzzed again.

"Fire exit is unsafe, I repeat, fire exit is unsafe. Suspect's last known position is somewhere around the water tower. Stay out of the line of sight."

I widen my eyes in excitement as I ready to pull the trigger.