Chapter 13: A Visit From Azula

After days of floating on a raft, eating nothing but ocean caught fish, we finally landed in the Earth Kingdom. We stayed at a resort, waiting to make the next move to follow the Avatar. Tadashi had curled up against me as I was doodling with the brush, ink and paper given to me by the staff, Zuko sat next to me, quiet and brooding.

Iroh was getting a massage on the table in front of us, "This is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make you so tense?" Iroh looked over to Zuko and thought for a moment, "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" He asked.

I looked over at the dark haired boy, "The anniversary of what?"

Zuko spoke in a dark tone, staring at his hands, "Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all." He looked up at us, "I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless." His eyebrows scrunched together." I placed a hand on his.

"I'm sure he doesn't. Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh asked. Zuko stood abruptly and walked out the room, Iroh turned to me, "Uh, that came out wrong, didn't it?"

I nodded, "I'm afraid so". I got up from the wooden chair I sat on and followed Zuko.

I found him outside, down the hill from the spa house, sitting on a bench under a cherry blossom in full bloom. I sat down next to him, and stared out at the lush green hill littered with pink petals and butterflies dancing about. I leaned my head on his shoulder, and there we sat in silence for awhile. "I promise we will get you home, and I will make sure of it."

"There's nothing you can do to help me get home, I have to capture the Avatar myself, and I have to bring him home."

"What if we found a way that didn't require you capturing him?"

"Don't you think if there was a way for me to go home, I would be there by now."

"We'll figure it out."

Later in the day, I found myself in our room, Itoh was laying shells out on the table. Iroh held up a particularly beautiful shell, "Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."

"They are very pretty!" I agreed with Iroh.

"We don't need anymore useless things! You forget, we have to carry everything ourselves now!" Zuko reminded him in a sharp tone.

A girl walked into the room, she looked like Zuko, with sharp features, gold eyes and dark hair that framed her pale face, just one look at her made me te se and weary., "Hello, brother. Uncle. Peasant". Gee thanks, I thought to myself and rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Zuko lashed out the girl, who I can only imagine is Azula. The only sister Zuko ever mentioned.

Azuka picked up one of Iroh's shells, examining it, "In my country, we exchange a pleasant hello before asking questions. Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?" Azula walked over to where Zuko stood.

"Don't call that!" Zuko yelled.

Iroh's face was full of worry but he spoke anyway, "To what do we owe this honor?"

"Hmm, must be a family trait. Both of you are so quick to get to the point." She crushed the shell in her hands, "I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him," Sure it is, "He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him; treacherous plots." Her gaze turned towards me for only a second, "Family are the only ones you can really trust. Father regrets you banishment. He want you home." A quiet fell over the room, I felt a pit in my stomach, something telling me that Azula cannot be trusted. Something about her felt... off. "Did you hear me? You should be happy. Excited. Grateful. I just gave you good news." She looked over at me again, "You're allowed to bring your peasant girlfriend too."