40

"I don't know how much longer I can let myself be his punching bag

"I don't know how much longer I can let myself be his punching bag."
—————————

"I am so confused." Ron kept his head in his hands as he stared at the money pieces in front of him. Hermione had agreed to be his partner to try and make things easier, but we had barely gotten past explaining the rules.

"Maybe I should've brought Uno instead..." I quirked my mouth to the side as I looked down at the Monopoly board. I ran my fingers through Harry's silky hair, watching as his shoulders eased slightly and he relaxed— something he hadn't been able to do since we had started school, even with my help.

"No! This is so much better!" Dean promised as he organized his play money. "Ron, just let Hermione make all the choices and you'll catch on. She can handle the money on her own." He shrugged him off.

"Muggle money— I just don't get it!" Ron groaned, rubbing his head.

"How?!" I argued. "It's basic arithmetic! The one with the 50 is worth 50! The 20 pound note is worth 20! 10 means 10! It's self explanatory!" I waved my hands with aggravation.

"It makes no sense!" He defended.

"Less sense than 29 Knuts equaling a Sickle, and 17 Sickles making up 1 Galleon?!" I protested. "That math hardly adds up!" I screeched. Others in the common room glanced at us every few seconds, intrigued by the Muggle game they either were familiar with or had never heard of.

"Hello, sweet Ruby Duby. Ronniekins. Other little lions." The twins sat on the arms of my chair and looked down at the Monopoly board, their eyes widening from the sight.

"Yes?" Hermione queried.

"What the bloody hell is this?" Fred asked with a hint of fear in his voice.

"Never mind this." I huffed, closing the game up and turning towards them. "What is it?" I asked sharply.

"Have you had Umbitch inspect any of your lessons yet?" George asked coolly. I broke out into laughter from the nickname, wiping a few tears from my eyes while I tried calming down a few seconds later.

"No." Harry said in a stiff voice from the floor between my legs, slowly packing away the board game that we had attempted to play during our lunch break.

"Have you?" I asked. Professor Umbridge had been named High Inquisitor by Minister Fudge, and was now able to report back to him with inspections of our teachers.

"Yes. This morning during charms." Fred started running his fingers through my blonde hair, jumping every few seconds when he felt the electric current of power that startled him.

"How was it?" asked Ron.

"Not bad. She just lurked in the corner and took notes on a clipboard." George shrugged once. "It didn't seem to both Flitwick at all. She didn't say much. Asked Alicia what classes are typically like, and she said really good. That was pretty much it." Harry stood from the floor and wiped the dust from his trousers and robes.