Chapter 40

Aiden had called me, asking if he wanted to hang out with me

Aiden had called me, asking if he wanted to hang out with me. The last time we talked, he had confessed to having suicidal thoughts, and the fact that he trusted me enough to open up to me spoke volumes. I want to help him. I know he is going to therapy, and I hope that is helping him, but what he needs is a friend. And, I'll happily be the person that Aiden can open up to until he is confident enough to tell his family.

Instead of beeping my car horn like I had planned to, I end up getting out of my car and knocking on the door. Jacob's mum opens the door. She smiles at me, ushering me into the house.

"Hey, gorgeous." She says in greeting. I smile at her, my hands curled at my sides. "You look so beautiful in that outfit!" I look down at my blue mom jeans and green sweatshirt.

"Thanks." I say, wringing my fingers together. She obviously notices my discomfort because she quickly changes the subject.

"I'll call Jacob." She says, walking towards the stairs.

"Actually- I'm here for Aiden." I say as both brothers walk down the stairs, one in front of the other. "We're going shopping."

"Hey, honey." Jacob says, reaching over and kissing me on the forehead. I smile, blush and take his hand in mine. Then, we face Aiden as he looks from me to his brother. His eyes drop to our entwined hands to my face before he smiles.

"Let's go." He says, and I nod my head turning to open the front door.

"It was lovely to see you again." Jacob's mum says, waving at me.

"You too." I say in reply before me and Aiden leave the house. I watch with glee as Aiden's mouth drops open at the sight of my car. His arms drop to his sides in awe.

"Whoa!" He gasps. "You have a Mercedes?" He asks in shock. "You're so cool." I watch as he walks towards the car, his hand gliding over the bonnet.

"You like cars?" I ask him, walking to the drivers side. Aiden looks at me, a glint of joy and happiness in his eyes.

"I like looking at them. Some cars are beautiful." He says before he opens the door. We both get into the car at the same time, and Aiden is not done looking around. His eyes scan over the radio and the interior designs, his mouth slightly open. I find myself smiling at the idea that he's passionate about cars. It's obvious he recognises the beauty of them and, knowing how hard Aiden's life is currently, I'm glad he has something that brightens up his day. I would buy a million cars if it kept him happy for the rest of his life.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask him, turning on the engine of the car. Aiden nods his head slowly, still mesmirised. Then, I set off.

***

Somehow, we end up in the Lego shop. Aiden is looking around, embracing his inner child. This is the first shop he voluntarily entered, and it's weirdly surprising to see that he also has a passion for Lego. Cars and Lego is a weird combination, but it's fine. Everyone's passions are different.