Chapter 9

The party was at Eve's house

The party was at Eve's house. There wasn't anyone outside when we got there but the music could be heard from the driveway. A One Direction song was blasting when we got in. In the main hall, there was laughter and virtually everyone had a bottle in their hands. As I walked further in with Laura by my side, someone pushes a bottle in my hand. I looked at the label and see that it's plain vodka. cheap. Opening it up, I take a swig.

I haven't drank it quite a long time so the sting burned a bit more than usual And as it settled in my belly, a shiver ran through my body.

Laura held my hand and dragged me through the hall and into the living room. A group of people were in a circle, most of them on the couch and some standing up. And in the middle, laughing with a bottle raised to his lips, was Jacob.

"I've arrived!" Laura pleasures them all with her appearance.

Jacob's eyes raise to mine. They widen and then he quickly looks away, clearing his throat and taking a swig of the vodka. Laura must have already told him that I didn't want to hang out with him again.

A guy I recognise from my Maths class jumps up from the couch and pulls Laura into a big bear hug.

"I missed you!" He sing- songs before spinning her around and putting her back on the ground.

He looks at me and grins.

"I recognise you from college."

I put my hand for him to shake. "I'm aria."

"Charlie." He says, pulling at my hand and circling his arms around my waist and pulling me into a hug.

I go stiff and my eyes widen at the gesture.

"Oh. Okay."

Laura pries his arms off of me and I give her a smile of thanks. She takes my hand and pulls me into the group. Sitting down on the couch, I look to my side to see that Jacob was sitting right next to me. His jaw was tense and his eyes were exerted away from me.

I clear my throat and look away as Laura introduces the rest of the group.

She points at every individual person. "That's Jonah." She says. Jonah smiles at me before looking at Jacob.

"Eve, Charlie, Amie," I stop listening after a while. My eyes were focused on Eve, who was scowling at me.

I play with the bottom of the dress that Laura let me borrow and my brunette hair falls in front of my face. I wasn't concentrating on the conversation until I heard someone suggest that we play 7 minutes of heaven.

I pick my head up, brushing my hair away and looking around. Eve was smirking at me, her eyes glancing from me to Laura and back.

Confused, I look at Laura right before she looks at me. We maintain eye contact for a couple of seconds before she looks away.