72: Thank You

Breathing my last breaths
Falling head first

I go, travelling on a road leading nowhere
Feet aching and fingers unfeeling I forget how I made my way here

The years flew like the wind, if only I'd treasured each day
Now these last seconds seem to last a decade

Air like poison, spit like acid, my bones rattle like bells as I transit  

Bury me beside a river and let her carry me through the valleys
Let the wilder beast indulge in my flesh for I am but vanity

I found myself in a vast meadow of vibrant flowers. The air was fresh and filling. Fluffy white clouds floated by at a lazy pace. But I was alone. Or so it seemed. Someone had been singing. I peered across the seemingly endless field to find a figure. Someone was sitting among the flowers.

"Hello!" I called.

When no response came I stepped closer. And closer and closer. Till I was standing just behind him. I placed a hand on his shoulder. The stranger turned round, a bright smile stretched across his handsome face.

"Mo?" I knew his voice. I'd heard it once before.

"Lucius?"

He nodded. Then I was falling into his arms as tears of disbelief and relief flowed out all at once. "I thought you were gone forever."

I felt him go rigid. He pulled away, panic sizzling in his eyes. "Why are you here?"

I took in our surroundings once again. Suddenly feeling out of place. "I don't know."

"You shouldn't be here. It isn't your time."

At once my memories came flooding back. "But I'm here."

"You aren't on his list." He was adamant. "You aren't dead. You must go back."

I shook my head and remained in place. "Not without you."

"My time has run out Mo. My life ends here." He had a lightness to his voice only peace could bring. "We will meet again if that is what you desire. But now you must go."

"Do you want to be here?"

"I've been carrying a burden in my heart for so long." A shadow fell over his eyes. Memories of pain took over. "I hurt someone I love dearly. For so long I was prisoner to my own regrets. But I've been freed. I've been pardoned of my sins. I don't deserve this peace. But by grace I am here."

"I'm happy for you." I shouldn't have but I cried. I laughed. Wiped the tears. "I'll miss you."

He sang me a song. And promised me he'd be there even in the faintest flicker of light.

Like the last rays of day, I will slowly fade away

And be replaced by the night as you wait for my light to arrive once again

You are my voice, you are my muse, for you I will never lose

Hide your tears from my eyes and let us laugh one last time

I’ll craft a crown from the stars
And weave a coat of friendly sparks

To brighten your paths and keep me forever in your hearts