27 | a kiss in time saves nine

Jo

JAWS DROP FASTER than I can take the next breath. Criticizing eyes, whispering mouths and subtle shoves overwhelm me and I discreetly shrink closer to Flynn's body.

"Relax," he says in my ear. His thumb leaves lilting strokes at the back of my palm. "You're freaking out."

"They're so cute," Amanda gushes, unaware of the rigidity of the atmosphere. But maybe that's just me overreacting. Maybe I'm imagining some piercing glares on my forehead and maybe I'm imagining some unfriendly smiles directed to me.

"Something wrong?" Flynn asks calmly with a raised brow. "Did anyone see a ghost?"

Slowly, they robotically move their heads to another direction and go on with their chatter like this never happened. Cass walks over to us with a bottle of Schnapps in her hand while Khalid trudges behind her.

"I knew we should have placed a bet." Khalid complains as soon as he gets to us. "But no. Everyone thinks Khalid is an extortionist."

Some tension leaves my bones as soon as he says that and I grin. "You wanted to place a bet?"

"Yes," Cass beams. "Mel said it would never work, Austin sighed as usual, I was skeptical but Amanda and Khalid were a hundred percent sure it would happen."

"So, how'd it happen?"

"Yo, Cauley. Over here."

These two statements are made at the same time. The first one is made by Cass who seems intrigued at this new development and the second one is made by Carter Reed, who is standing with a group of football boys as usual next to a beer pong stand. He waves at me. Jamal, Tony and Ed Sheeran are shooting me sly grins as well and I roll my eyes at their antics. When I look around, I discover that there are more faces are recognize. Flynn did say everyone would be here after all so I'm not too surprised when I see Craig shooting me an icy glare that could probably send me six feet under. He's not alone. Semia is standing suspiciously close to him and it becomes a contest of who glares the most.

Flynn turns to me and I wave him off. "You should go see your friends. I'll be fine here."

He hesitates but Khalid interjects before he can say anything to object. "Go on now. She'll be fine with us. Besides," he says, wrapping an arm around my neck. "We have a lot to discuss."

Cass nods and shoos him away while Amanda offers to get me a drink. I politely tell her I'll start off with water and she goes off running to the coolers and kegs that stand right next to the loud speakers.

I wrap my arms around myself as they stare at me expectantly. I'm suddenly conflicted about what version of the story I should tell them. But when I glance over at Flynn and watch him talk animatedly with the boys, I sigh audibly and meet Cass's curious gaze.

"Well?"

I try not to roll my eyes as I narrate the whole story to them but I do that in a less self-absorbing way like Flynn described. Amanda joins us a few seconds later and a couple of girls I have never seen in my life, surprisingly, call my name and wave at me with smiles on their faces while I speak.

"Wow." Amanda says starstruck. I can't tell if she's really buying it or if it's the alcohol running through her veins but with the smug look on Khalid's face and the amazed look on Cass's, I'm confident they bought it.