24 | you're the best

Jo

I HAVEN'T GOTTEN a text from Drew in over a year and a half so the disappointment I feel when I read his text doesn't surprise me. Mum must have told him I was coming over with some basic items and since he's a selfish prick, he's decided to take it upon himself —much to his dismay I'm sure— to text me.

I grit my teeth, annoyance washing over me as I read his text for the third time.

I'm not here for you. I'm here because of my job and I'll come to you when I'm done.

I look up and see Flynn coming out with two more boxes and he raises his brows at me when he sees me typing furiously. I hit send and blow out my cheeks.

"You good?" He asks and just then, my phone rings and the caller ID displays Drew's name flashing on the screen. I glance at Flynn and watch him drop the boxes into the trunk before sliding a finger on the answer button. I raise the phone to my ear and I don't speak. I can't remember the last time we spoke on the phone.

His voice comes in second later, nostalgic and familiar yet cold and monotonous. "Enough with the bullshit, Jo. Bring my stuff and then you can go back to whatever shenanigan brought you here."

That's it. There's no 'it's been a while' or 'I've missed you' or 'How's your health?' before and after that. I fold my arms across my chest and ignore Flynn's questioning gaze.

I clear my throat. "I'm busy. I need to finish up with—"

He cuts me off. "I'm not going to sit here for more than five minutes waiting for you. I've got a class in ten. You don't show and I'll tell mum about this stupid attitude you're displaying."

My eyes glaze over. "Screw you." I say into the speaker and then I hang up. I press my fingers into the corners of my eyes and I turn to Flynn.

"Hey, uh, I need to get some stuff to my brother. I'll be back as soon as possible."

Flynn nudges his head to the car. "Give me a minute and get in the car. I'll drop you."

"Okay," I smile but it doesn't reach my eyes. "Thanks."

I get into the car and shut the door. He jogs back into the library and I use that little opportunity to clean every moisture that may be gathering in my eyes. He's back with one last box and then he shuts the trunk and slides into the driver's seat. He asks a student the directions to the food truck after I tell him and they heartily describe its location. Fortunately for us, it's not too far from the library so the shiny and fancy-ass food truck comes into our view pretty quickly. A couple of benches and tables are arranged in front of the truck and a few students linger around it. Just at the corner, my brother is seated on one of the benches in a red, threadbare college hoodie, indulging in slow sips from whatever is contained in his water bottle.

Flynn slows the car down and I turn to him. "I won't be long."

As I grab the door handle, his grip on my wrist stops me. "You are going to be fine," he says firmly. "Right?"

"Off-course," I say, laughing awkwardly. "He's my brother after all."

I get out of the car and pack all his stuff from the backseat before taking a deep breath and walking out of the shade of Flynn's car. The sun is hot on my skin as I walk towards the bench but I ignore it once I get to him. He doesn't raise his head when I approach and he certainly doesn't when I'm a hair's breadth away from him.