5 ~ how the hell are we alive?

Lottie

There was no chance at escape. The lights were flickering. The engine was sputtering. We were hundreds of feet in the air.

Jorge had his white hands clutched around the controls. He was trying to get us lower. He wouldn't be able to succeed by the time the engine failed completely.

If it had been like the last time we had to crash land a Berg, I would be less worried. But it wasn't like last time; not at all. This time, the gas had run out, giving Jorge minimal control of the aircraft. This time, we weren't getting shot at. This time, the passengers were silent. This time, it was my fault.

Hadn't they told me what would happen if I used the lights through the night? And hadn't I refused to listen? Did I really have to be so blind-sighted that I put everyone in danger?

I sat quietly in a dark corner. The flickering lights danced behind my closed eyelids. I could sense it when the engine failed; the weak thrum running through the Berg died out completely, and the lights finally stopped flickering. The cabin went dark.

There was silence, as if everyone was in shock. Then, we started to tip midair. I began sliding towards the cockpit. And that's when we started screaming.

"Hold on! Hold on!" Someone yelled; I didn't know who.

"To what?" Someone else screamed back.

"Anything!"

I flailed my arms around, and hit something that felt solid. A chair, maybe? I clung to it, and closed my eyes, preparing for impact. We were going to crash. Most likely, we'd die, and the only emotion I felt was grief.

If we died, nobody would go after Newt. He would spend his last days in the Crank Palace, thinking that nobody cared enough to come get him. He would think we'd just let him go. That is, until he lost his mind.

There was no way for me to guarantee my survival or anyone else's. All I could do was hope. My throat seemed to be closed so I couldn't scream, my hands were locked on the chair, and my eyes remained glued closed. I didn't want to feel the impact.

I could hear the others crying out their goodbyes to each other, which took my breath away. We were about to die. I would never see them again. I would never see anyone again. My mouth suddenly was able to open and I too was screaming to my friends. It was a scramble of goodbyes, apologies, and declarations of love.

Then, suddenly, there was nothing at all.

"Lottie."

Someone was saying my name.

"Lottie, please."

They were begging.

"Wake up!"

I recognized the voice. It was a voice I'd do anything for, so of course, I opened my eyes. I almost regretted it from the pain that followed. Every inch of my body felt as if it had been run over by a truck. Sun shined on my face, forcing me to squint and my head to pound. I could only make out the shape of Julian leaning above me.

"M' awake," I said, and was startled at the gravelly state of my voice.

"Thank God," said Julian. "Can you sit up?"

"Probably." I winced as he pulled my body into an upright position. "How the hell are we alive?"

"No idea," Julian replied weakly. "I don't know about anyone else though; I just woke up and you were the first person I found when I started walking around. It's too dark to see anything."