14

|Three week later|
|Alvira Toussaint|

It's been a rough three weeks. Keegan woke up a couple of days after the events that took place that week. I have never been so glad.

To whomever hears my prayers, Merci.

In the past week, tests have started and it was the beginning of her physiotherapy. To gain movements over her arm muscles and leg muscles. She couldn't stand up as yet because of her core.

I didn't realize how stubborn she is. It's like dealing with a literal child.

I had to insist I would help with the basic hygiene, the walks and medication. It seemed to all go well.

I am still embarrassed to pose a full conversation with her. Especially everything falling at my feet.

I haven't heard from Zion in a long while and I am not worried. I hope he is rotten in the firey pits of hell.

I feel like a new chapter of my life is opening up. The energy I am around is quite different from before and I appreciate it.

Keegan gave me my notebook, a well explained structured paragraph with side notes and drawings of the the Genetic concepts that we are currently learning about. She's so smart, I have always admired it from day one. Although some days she doesn't listen but she has an incredible memory.

I briefly read through the notes, "Oh my, this could make a lovely conclusion!" I gave her a dimpled smile.

"I am so great aren't I?"

"You are." I mumbled, "Thank you for—"

"Please don't thank me...you are already doing too much for me."

I don't want to panic but the eye contact that we are holding is making my heart race, there's something about her gaze, something like a spark. I blinked and cleared my throat. Looking back down at my  notes.

"So are your eyes real?" She asked, I looked at her through my long lashes.

"The color?" I turned my focus back to my books and started to write.

"Yeah. It's like mine. Don't get me wrong it looks beautiful on you – its just–"

"–you have never seen a black girl with Hazel colored eyes?" I smirked lightly.

"Yes."

"You tell me."

"Well then, look at me?" She pushed the wheels of her wheelchair closer.

Our knees touching. I let the tip of my pen surface over the blank space and looked at her who adjusted her glasses. I could see the curiosity in her eyes. She held my chin. I held her wrist, it's not that I didn't trust her touching me. It's an instinct.

"Has anyone told you how beautiful your eyes are?"

"You'll be the first besides my parents and sister."

"What? Really? Not even that cock?" She pushed her wheels back and I shook my head, "Such an arsehole."

"Right?–"

"Mi bebé hermoso, aquí estás!(My beautiful baby here you are!)" A woman's voice filled the room with relief. I looked at the door, such a beauty.

Chestnut skin tone, hovering probably at 5'3 styled her dreadlocks in a headscarf. She had long eyelashes, I was almost jealous. Dark brown eyes. Ears with medium sized hoops. Wearing a long floral dress which was short sleeve. Holding her purse and car keys in her right hand. Her scent was so intoxicating but it seem to be a quick addiction.

|Keegan Bierman|

I turned to look at the door to see my mother. I closed my eyes for a moment.

"I am so sorry I couldn't be here any sooner. Como estas?" She said in a panicked voice, cupping my cheeks and kissed my forehead.

I just smiled, "It's okay. Someone took care of me in your absence. I am okay?" I could tell Alvira was feeling a bit uneasy.

"Esta es una chica hermosa, ¿ves lo que dije sobre las bellezas?(This is one beautiful girl see what I did say about beauties?)" My mother wiggled her eyebrows.

"Aaaand that's not the time! Alvira this is my mom...mom–"

"Your girlfriend?" My mother chapped in.

"NO!" We both said defensively. She cleared her throat.

"I mean no ma'am... Pleasure to meet you." Alvira smiled shyly, standing up and extending her right arm, my mother did the same thing. They had a formal handshake.

"I can say the same to you. Thank you for looking after my big baby." I rolled my eyes at my mother's statement.

I had to fill in with what happened and she didn't take it lightly. Alvira excused herself. We watched her leave.

"You have to be careful where you choose your battles. You nearly lost your life." She said sternly. I saw the hint of sadness in my mother's eyes.

"...even If I did. It's for the right reasons."

"What does that mean?"

"I was just protecting her...she needs this protection. That man is a living monster."

She sighed and ran her nails over the back of my neck gently, "Oh Keegan. You have such a kind heart...You make me feel proud to be your mother."

I frowned my eyes. Thinking about the things Zion did to Alvira and I was very much upset about it.

"Where's Kar?"

"School. Boarding."

"Such a hell hole, who loves Boarding?"

"Your sister apparently." She replied with the same sarcasm causing me to chuckle a little.

|Bonus Piece|

I watched my mother talk to Alvira. I never saw that glimpse of her when she used to speak to Cynthia. Alvira as always, shy and calm to flow with the conversation.

"I'll be expecting her home during Christmas break" my mother commanded.

"She's just–"

"A friend. Yeah." She brushed me off, she came closer and whispered, "Just keep your eye open. This is your nest."