My Ex's dad

A few days later:

Ben's Pov:

I stand outside Charlie's door waiting for him to answer. We decided to meet my dad at our old house so we are at least on familiar ground. He finally answers the door and behind him is Nick with his arms crossed. "Come in" Charlie smiles warmly and I remember why I fell in love all those years ago. "Call me if you need to okay?" Nick whispers loud enough for me to hear. He plants a kiss right on Charlie's lips and I look away uncomfortable. He pushes past me making sure to bump into me. I brush it off. He's just acting protective of his boyfriend, something I could never do. We move over to the couch sitting in an uncomfortable silence. I look over to see pictures of Him and Nick where our pictures used to me. I can't help but be filled with grief. Here I am mourning someone who's right in front on me and it's all my doing.

The doorbell rings and I jump up instantly. "I'll get it" I reassure Charlie urging him to sit down. I open the door to see my mom and dad holding onto each other. She helps him through the door and I notice his limp. "Son" he states in a tone unrecognizable. "Over here dad, Charlie's in the living room" he's smiles at the mention of him. Maybe he has come to accept it for real. Charlie stands to greet my dad and we walk into the room. "Hello, Sir" he says fearful. After everything my dad has done I don't blame him. "Sit, sit" he urges. I sit down next to Charlie, my mom and dad sit across from us. I take notice to how pale he looks. I look over at Charlie pleading for help. He notices and puts his hand over mine. Even when broken up he still takes care of me.

My dad coughs getting our attention. "I thought you had broken up?" He looks down nodding at our finger intertwined. I grip Charlie's hand harder before he can pull away. I won't let my dad ruin this too. "We have dad, you should know, your part of the reason why." I spit anger filling every part of my body. "Honey" my mom starts "please, we need to talk to you both. Try to keep this civil." My face softens. My mom alway went up to bat for us. "Okay" I mumble. "I asked both of you here today because I have something very important to tell my son" he looks at Charlie. "Broken up or not, my son is going to need you. I know we got off on the wrong foot but I want to apologize." Charlie looks over at me worried and returns a blank stare to my dad. "Son" he turns to face me. "I recently found out that I have cancer. I don't have long left. I know I have been a shitty dad to you and nothing will make up for it. But I am proud of who you are and if that means being with Charlie is part of who you are then so be it." A tear falls from his eyes. "What?!" I screech "your dying and you think that makes up for what you've done?" My face heats up in anger and I jump up off the couch. I pace back and forth unsure what I'm feeling. "Honey, please your father loves you and he wants to make up for it." She places a hand on my back and I pull away. "I can't do this right now" I take off storming to what used to be the room I shared with Charlie. I slam the door behind me hard enough that the walls shake.

Charlie's Pov:

I watch Ben storm off and I sit here for a moment not knowing what to do. "Am I really the reason you guys broke up?" His dad stares at me tears streaming down his face. I want to hate him but I can't. The man I dying and just wants to make it up to his son. "Sort of." I whisper honestly. "I'll go get Ben to come back" I rush off towards the bedroom.

I enter in shyly. "Ben" I whisper. His cries ring in my ears. "How can he do this to me, he thinks just because he's dying I have to forgive him?!" He shouts. "Sushh, sushh" I rub his back until his cries settle. "Look at me" I push his chin up. "You don't have to forgive him, but you should at least hear him out. He's your dad Ben." Tears fill his eyes again but he nods in agreement. "Let's go back down okay?" A small smile appears and he nods getting up slowly.

Ben's Pov:

We return to the couch and just the thought of looking at my dad makes me sick, but I promised Charlie I'd hear him out. He clears his throat and begins speaking "I don't have long left and while you may hate me this can't be easy on you." I look over to my mom and she grips his hand urging him to continue. "Your going to need someone by your side to help you through this." I look over at Charlie knowing he's talking about him. "I don't under the whole gay thing... but he makes you happy." He mumbles. I cross my arms annoyed. "It's not a whole gay thing" I mumble back. "I'm trying son" his voice breaks and I look up. My dad is stressed and seeing him so fragile softens me. He's still my dad after all. "Honey, why don't you get to the point" my mom offers breaking the tension. "Okay" he stiffens. "Charlie, I know you are broken up and it's my fault and I want to fix it." Charlie nods his head hesitantly. "Young man, I always dreamed on seeing my son at the alter. You may not be who I envisioned but you make him happy and right now that's all that matters." My eyes grow wide as I start to catch on to what my dad is saying. He can't possibly mean what he's insinuating. "Charlie, will you please do me the honor of attending my sons wedding before I pass?" "What!?" Charlie and I both scream in unison. "Please I want to be able to see my son married and happy. Charlie, will you please marry Ben?"