28| I miss him\her

37 days ago...

Rocking a straight-cut emerald green coloured skirt, a white short-sleeved chiffon top, a pair of black sneakers and a black handbag, Adesuwa walked towards Kenny after she had checked-in her luggage. Her black, long bone straight wig shone as she walked on and her smile stood out even more due to the nude lipstick she had on.

"I thought I told you to go. I'll be fine." She told him once she stopped in front of him. While his hands were in the pockets of his trouser, his smile was broad and his eyes sumptuously looked her up and down.

"Ah, I still can't believe this fine woman in front of me is all mine."

She jokingly slapped his arm as a chuckle left her lips. "Stop."

He laughed. "But it's true. I'm going to tell you that every day."

Adesuwa shook her head. "Go to work. It seems you have forgotten the meeting you're required to attend."

"I haven't. I just..." He wrapped his arms around her and stared into her eyes. "... I'm going to miss you."

Her chuckle was light. "It's just for a week and I'll be back."

"Even though, I'll miss you lots." Kenny said and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

She simply smiled while she stared at him. The memory of their traditional marriage three days ago was fresh in her mind. Adesuwa felt grateful she had him in her life. "I'm going to miss you too."

He playfully brushed his nose against hers. "I love you."

"I love you too." She replied and they smiled one last time at each other before letting go. Adesuwa watched him walk away towards the exit. He turned one more time and waved at her. She waved back. After he disappeared into the hustle and bustle of the city, she turned away and went to wait in the waiting area.

Adesuwa was yet to completely get Kenny's image out of her mind. Whenever she missed him, she stared at her engagement ring. So, she looked at her finger but the ring wasn't there. Adesuwa searched within her handbag for the ring and didn't find it. She mentally retraced her steps to figure out where she could have taken it off.

A gasp eluded her lips the moment she remembered where she left it. She had taken it off back home in the bathroom and forgot to put it back on. She couldn't call Kenny because he would be busy with work and she didn't want him to know she'd forgotten it. Adesuwa knew she was supposed to have it on all the time. She looked at the time on her wristwatch. It was twenty minutes past ten. Her international flight was two hours, thirty minutes away. She had made it to the airport on time in order to beat the morning traffic.

Adesuwa thought of how it took about forty-five minutes to ride without the traffic. At most, she could spend an hour going back now. For another minute, she reasoned it all and wondered if going back was a good decision. An image of Kenny's smiling face popped up in her mind. Guilt swallowed her whole. Immediately, she stood to her feet and hastened her steps out of the airport. Without any trouble, she found a cab and hurried into the backseat. Adesuwa called her address for a cab driver who should be no less than sixty years old. She told him to hurry and if possible, he was permitted to make use of shortcuts.

Thirty-five minutes later when another car rammed into theirs in a manner that was inexplicable for her and her head smashed against the window, Adesuwa regretted asking him to speed up. During what she thought was her last moment, every eventful period of her life flashed across her mind and she was grateful she was able to have those memories.

Present day

Adedayo stared at the boiling water on the stove. There was nothing within it but he stared at it with much seriousness. It was almost as if he could envision or read something in it. A memory of Joy returned to his mind. He shook off the thought of her and walked out of the kitchen. Adedayo found himself staring at the couch. Another memory with her on that very couch popped up. Again, he rejected reliving it and walked into the bedroom. He did nothing in particular except walk around and return back to the living room. Every corner, every single thing reminded him of her. He picked the television's remote and increased the volume. He needed the noise. He needed it so his thoughts didn't wander off. It hasn't been up to 48 hours since Joy left. Even during the night, Dayo was unable to sleep and spent the entire night with the television on and his eyes glued to it. He had earlier called in sick to work, worried he might not be able to pretend convincingly enough to avoid their queries in regard to his state of health.