22| Meet the Michaels

Days had gone by in a flash and now, Dayo found himself in the registrar's office. He was in one of his best clothes. Joy was in a flora printed dress. The best of the ones he'd gotten for her. She'd ironed it out and on her, it was perfectly stunning. She stood in front of him and while they maintained eye contact, her smile was beautiful. Adedayo's heart kept racing. It had been that way since they arrived. Every type of doubt threatened to invade his mind. But whenever his eyes fell on her, such doubts disappeared into thin air. His heart, though, had refused to return to its normal pace.

Maybe it was the nervousness of the day or maybe it was his fear that kept trying so had to take over. Every part of him was trying to keep his entirety safe. Adedayo needed to make it all clear that he would be fine. There was no saying that something wrong might not pop up in the future but for this time with her, he was ready to take the chance even if it meant he would end up getting hurt.

Sarki signaled Adedayo a thumbs up. It reminded him of his words before they'd stepped into the office.

Sarki had placed both his hands on Adedayo's shoulders. "I'm proud of you." He'd started. "You've come a long way from being dead while alive to actually living. I'm glad you chose to live." He ended and although Dayo had felt sentimental towards his words, he'd scoffed at them and shook his head at his friend for being a little more dramatic than usual.

Adedayo's eyes fell on Mrs. Aderigbe who smiled at him so widely. He smiled back and recalled the moment they'd asked her if she would be okay with being a witness to their marriage. Of course, she had been dramatic and wasted no time in saying yes.

Joy took in a deep breath. It was to calm her beating heart. Did she have a few doubts? Yes, but it wasn't about Dayo. It was about her future and how she feared hurting him. Joy recalled the doctor's words about the fact that her memories might never return to her or might take years before they do come back. Those words made her calmer. Hopeful.

She slid the simple gold-plated band onto his finger. Both Bimbo and Sarki clapped. Adedayo slid the ring onto her finger. Their entourage cheered again. As he stared at the ring on her finger, it was beautiful. Everything was beautiful on Joy. He wished he was able to afford an even better ring for her. One that wouldn't wash away in the close years to come. Adedayo drew closer and locked his lips with hers in a soft kiss. He had not kissed her again since their first kiss. All this time, he wanted to kiss her again and to hold her in his arms. But he feared he might not be able to control himself and the scene might escalate further. He wasn't sure if either of them was ready for that, yet.

They put down their signatures on the paper in front of them and were congratulated.

Outside the building, Sarki considered himself the photographer and took it upon himself to take their pictures with his phone. "Don't worry, I'll get it printed out." He told them.

"Thank you." Dayo said to him. His friend had done so much for him. He couldn't fathom what he would have done without him.

"Ah, what are friends for?" Sarki said before he opened the door of his car. "I can drop you two off."

Dayo shook his head. "It's fine. You've already helped a lot."

"Yes. Thank you again." Joy added and Sarki looked from one to the other. The amusement on his part was evident.

"You're barely married for thirty minutes and you two already sound alike." Sarki joked and got into his car. He slammed the door shut and rolled down his window. "Don't forget. You can call me whenever you need my help." He told them before reversing. He waved to them one last time before driving out of the compound.

"Dayo." Bimbo called and both turned to her.

Adedayo reached out to her for a handshake while his other hand held the wrist area of that hand. This was to show his utmost respect. "Thank you, ma'am. Thank you very much for coming along. We appreciate it."