Chapter 26: Soft To Be Strong

Black tulle dragged along the marble floors of the Iaso Emley Clinic

Black tulle dragged along the marble floors of the Iaso Emley Clinic. Light scent of medicine was in the air as Sera hugged a black blazer tight while hurrying to the room assigned to her aunt.

Zephyr and her snuck away together after the memorial with the help of Eos, Emilia and Mica. Her former tribute turned victor was already ahead of her, loosening his tie and unbuttoning the top buttons of his shirt.

"Surprised we managed to get away before that mess ended."

Keeping her face blank, Sera sped up and walked beside him. "I finished my parts—spoke to the President and had the most fortunate luck of meeting the Redcliff family."

He stifled a laugh but couldn't help grin. "Oh, I saw that—that was the most painful thing I had ever seen. I never thought I'd see a more hateful family than my uncle's but here we are."

"Beauty of the Capitol, Zephyr, you never know what to expect."

"Doesn't sound so reassuring."

She sighed and glanced at him. It was a warning not words of comfort from her. She'd rather tell him the truth than lie and get his hopes up—not that there was a need to lie; Zephyr wasn't a hopeful person in the first place.

"Wasn't meant to be. I was saying it as it is."

"How optimistic." He ruffled his hair and looked away. Sera's words had struck a chord with him and he grew quiet. "You know I was thinking of approaching Pl—"

"Don't even think about it!" She hissed before walking past him. "It was a bad idea to tell you in the first place."

"Just because you don't want to take risks doesn't mean I can't."

"I won't be there to help you out when it all falls down."

"Oh but you will because I know deep down you want to say 'yes'. You're too afraid—I blame Huxley for that."

Even though Zephyr's was right, Sera would never admit it. Plutarch's offer was getting more attractive as time passed—it was becoming increasingly hard keeping her neutral stance.

Most of the victors in the spotlight were either puppets or ornaments. Only some like Enobaria and Brutus had agency of their own. That was only because nobody knew what to do with them. They hardly did anything which would raise suspicion.

The situation in the Capitol was getting worse.

Like Minister Thistlewood, on the surface, he appeared solely on the President's side. The way he acted around Sera and the other victors said otherwise.

He had enough authority and trust to be President Snow's right hand, his second-in-command yet how long can a man stay a shadow when he yearns for the light.

That was the type of man Minister Janus Thistlewood was shaping up to be. Someone who wanted more.

Minister Thistlewood had already acted above his given authority and even tested the limits of President Snow's trust. The unruly state of the Peacekeepers around Panem were a key example.