49. Mouna

The hall in the middle of the grand building squeaked under the polished shoes of everyone that had made it to the event. A red banner was placed up above and over the stage at the very front, in an arch, with balloons serving as a decoration. There were a few speeches welcoming everyone to another annual event but I was busy glancing around at the men in suits and the women donned in beautiful dresses—both glittery and satin alike—all around me.

"So this is a work party," I whispered as I took in my surroundings. The walls were decorated by metallic and warm golden-and-white wallpaper, the repeating rounded pattern offering a multi-dimensional illusion. The rounded pillars that stood at attention at every doorway was held by the arches above.

It was magnificent.

"No one's doing much but talking," whispered Dhruv back to me. "I don't know if I'd call that a party."

"There are some people dancing. Maybe this is what a work party is." We watched as some people swayed to the light music overhead. It wasn't much but it was still something. I tugged on the sleeve of the jade green dress I was wearing as it was becoming itchier and itchier. It wouldn't be ladylike if I were to scratch at my arms like a rabid animal. At the same time, I wanted to cover my leg that was exposed by the fashionable slit in the dress. I had gotten used to wearing skirts and shorts in Rani's body but this was a public event and all I could think about was whether or not people were judging me.

"Relax, you look fine." Dhruv's full, pink lips were grinning ever so softly at me and made the worries within me disappear in an instant.

"Rani!"

For a moment, the itchiness was forgotten and I turned to greet Tara. She shook my hand, even though we had seen each other an hour and a half ago, before turning to Dhruv who held out a hand. She surveyed him, matte-nude lips twitching with glee as she returned his shake; he was wearing a red button up shirt half-unbuttoned with small white polka dots, navy pants and blazer.

Tara hummed. "Long time no see, Dhruv. I wonder what's kept you away from your beloved wife."

"Probably you, Tina." I tried not to gasp at how unfiltered he was but seeing the grin on his face and her only rolling her eyes told me that she didn't mind.

"You're lucky Rani is my favourite employee. If it means having to deal with the likes of you...then so be it."

A couple wearing matching outfits came over to Tara. She squeezed my shoulder and left.

"I can't believe you said that to her," I told him.

"It's easy to annoy someone when you don't work for them." I giggled. I wanted to ask Dhruv what he would like to do especially since I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do here, when a clear of a throat rumbling behind me made me turn.

A man with perfectly slicked back hair and wide-set eyes offered a glass of what looked like wine to me. He then glanced over my shoulder, at Dhruv. "May I steal her for a bit?"

Who was this man? I had never seen him before. Please, say no, I told Dhruv in my head. He, however, only smiled brightly and swept his hand across the air in a 'go ahead' gesture. I knew I was Mouna, but he thought I was Rani—did he not care that another man was speaking to his wife? Did he...did he still want to go through with a divorce in the end?

"You seem a little lost," the man said, grinning as he kept his hand outstretched. I took the glass of wine from him and nodded.

"I'm not very used to these events."

"Really? I think I've seen you pretty much every year. Except I don't think I've seen that man with you."

Oops. "Oh, I—I never pay attention. This year is different."

He took a sip from his wine, gaze not straying from mine. It wasn't malicious in any way but I shifted on my feet, uncomfortable nevertheless. "How so?" he asked after swallowing.

"Well, this year my husband is with me," I said, gesturing to Dhruv who he had casually mentioned.

The man stilled for a second before chuckling. "I don't know why I'm so surprised. A woman like you is obviously hitched."

"A woman like me? I don't know about that, but thank you."

"The one thing I don't like in people is when they downplay themselves. Have you seen yourself and the work that you do? An inspiration." I blushed despite myself and he saw this. "Anyway, I think your husband's getting a little antsy." He jerked his chin over my shoulder and I trailed his line of sight to see that Dhruv was leaning against one of the marble pillars. His foot tapped against the timber floors and his hands were shoved deep into his pockets.

His stare was fixed on me but seeing me looking, his cheeks tilted up and pulled the corner of his lips into a crooked smile.

"Let him know I only wanted to chat," the man whispered to me, "I'd like to keep my head intact tonight."

When I walked back over to Dhruv, I told him, "You scared him off."

He scoffed. "Me? I didn't do anything to him."

"Your face said everything."

His expression became impassive as he looked down at me. "And what does my face say?" He was only playing around but my breath caught in my throat. Without saying anything, I hurried over to the long white table at the end, serving drinks and other snacks. My stomach rumbled but not because of hunger.

"Why'd you—"

"Ah!" A small squeak left me and I stepped back into Dhruv, only to tread on his foot. A groan of pain made me spin around. He was bent over, holding onto his leg. There was a small indent—not a hole—in his brown shoes that made me bend over to inspect the damage. "I am so so sorry, Dhruv! I-I didn't know you were standing there and—"

"It's fine," he croaked. Somehow he managed a chuckle. "I told you those heels of yours would impale someone's toes if you weren't careful."

I tilted my head. When had he said that? To Rani, of course... I reminded myself. "Um, yes, right, I remember." I poked at where the slight dent was. "Does it hurt?"

"My toes are intact as far as I can tell," he said, holding my arms gently and lifting me up from the floor. "I'll survive."

"Why did you follow me here? Did you want to get impaled?"

"Oh, sure. My goal was to make sure I could prove my point to you of heels being dangerous by trying to sacrifice my own foot." I swatted his arm. "I came because I wanted to tell you the truth."

"The truth?"

"I probably did scare the guy away." I was sure I looked very confused because he added, "You might get mad at me for saying this, but tonight, I..." He licked his lips, scratching the back of his neck. "It took everything in me not to walk up to you two and tell him to fuck off."

My brain turned into slush and I opened my mouth to say something when a tap on my shoulder cut me off. Preethi stood there with a huge smile on her face. "You look so amazing as always!" We hugged and complimented each others hair and dresses—a conversation I had always wanted to engage in with any future friends but hadn't had the time to do so—when the short man with a small ponytail beside her whispered to me, "Is he that annoying dude you used to talk about wanting to leave?"

I didn't know who this man was but apparently he knew me. Preethi paled and elbowed this man in the ribs. The golden glow on her face had significantly dimmed as well as the glow I had felt spreading within my chest. Dhruv didn't say anything, the smile that he had on to greet them still ever present, with no sign of faltering.

I couldn't imagine how much those words would have hurt.

"Sorry, Rani, it's—"

"He is not annoying," I found myself saying, hands curled into fists by my side. "And I don't want to leave him." Oh no, what was I saying? "Whatever rude things I have said before was in a time where I wasn't thinking straight. I'll always regret it, but the truth is, he's the type of man that you can only ever aspire to be. Got it?"

Both Preethi and the man gawked at me. I'd have to apologise to Preethi another day but in that moment, I didn't think she or he deserved it. Without waiting for a response, I walked past them and out the, what I assumed, back doors.